Vipers Drop Home Opener to Austin
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (1-1) faced the Austin Spurs (1-1) at home and came up short 124-116 on Saturday night.
In the first quarter Houston Rockets assignee, Isaiah Hartenstein, scored eight points to give the Vipers an 8-0 lead. The Spurs took the lead from RGV as they went on a 5-14 run making the score 13-14. The battle for the lead continued, but it would be the Vipers leading 28-26 to close out the first quarter.
The Vipers continued to lead in the second quarter, but the Spurs were not done fighting for the lead. After going on a 3-5 run, two-way player, Drew Eubanks, scored a two-point shot which tied up the quarter 31-31. Austin's offense picked up the tempo and grabbed the lead from the Vipers to end the half 69-65.
Reaching double figures in scoring for the Vipers was Rockets assignee, Gary Clark (17), Angel Rodriguez (13) and Jacobi Boykins (11). On the Spurs side it was Dedric Lawson (14), Kavion Pippen (13), Eubanks (12) and San Antonio Spurs assignee, Luka Samanic (10).
The first half of the game was filled with action and the second half would not disappoint.
In the third quarter the game went on a 20-14 run and Austin still maintained an 89-79 lead. The Vipers picked up the energy on the court and quickly began getting closer to the lead with an 12-26 run to shorten the Spurs lead 99-101.
The energy during the fourth quarter escalated quickly as both teams fought for the lead. RGV came close to taking the lead away from the Spurs, but Austin's offense extended its lead and took the game 131-124.
Hartenstein ended the night with another double-double; 21 points, 14 rebounds. Boykins totaled 29 points while Rodriguez racked up 27 of his own along with seven assists and six steals.
Lawson hit a double-double as well with 23 points and 14 rebounds. Keldon Johnson totaled 24 points, eight rebounds and five assists. Eubanks fell short on his double-double with 23 points and nine rebounds.
RGV will host Military Night as they face Santa Cruz at 7:00 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, Nov. 12 at Bert Ogden Arena. The first 1,000 fans will receive a 2018-19 NBA G League replica banner. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 9, 2019
- Free Throws Doom Suns in Season Opening Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Drop Home Opener to Austin - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hustle Sweep Back-To-Back with Texas Legends - Memphis Hustle
- Trio Grabs Double-Doubles, But South Bay Falls in Season Opener - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Coats Fall to Red Claws in Season Opener - Delaware Blue Coats
- Drive Fall to Go-Go in DC - Grand Rapids Drive
- BayHawks Split Opening Weekend Homstand; Fall to Greensboro - Erie BayHawks
- GAME RECAP: Nets Get First Win of Season in Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Last Second Free Throws Lift Clippers over Suns in Season Opener - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Canton Charges Past Lakeland for Season Opening Victory - Canton Charge
- Langford, Tacko Dominate Blue Coats in Season Opener - Maine Red Claws
- Knicks Home Opener Postponed Due to Court Damage - Westchester Knicks
- Timberwolves Assign Jaylen Nowell to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Pelicans Transfer Josh Gray from the Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Stockton Kings Dominate Santa Cruz Warriors 122-97 in Season Opener - Stockton Kings
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Season Opener 122-97 against the Stockton Kings - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Valentine, Gafford Lead Bulls over Herd, 129-111 - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs Fall to Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Opening Night - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers and BOA to Host Together We Can Blood Drive
- Vipers Update Regarding G League Suspension
- Vipers Statement on NBA Suspending Season
- Iowa Over-Powers Vipers
- RGV Vipers Weekly Update: March 9-15