BayHawks Split Opening Weekend Homstand; Fall to Greensboro
ERIE, PA - Erie (1-1) fell to the Greensboro Swarm, 108-122, Saturday evening on the back-end of their opening weekend homestand at Erie Insurance Arena.
The BayHawks trailed early and often, playing from behind for the final 40:26 of the contest. As a team, Erie committed 22 total turnovers, leading to 25 points for Greensboro (1-0) on the night. Swarm guard Joe Chealey swiped a game-high four steals, adding 15 points, four assists and two rebounds in 31 minutes.
Despite tallying back-to-back 20+ turnovers games, Erie saw solid play from its starting guards. The backcourt duo of Pelicans affiliate players, Jalen Adams and Javon Bess, combined for 60 of Erie's 108 points.
Adams logged a season-high 33 points and 10 assists, notching his first-career G League double-double. The former Husky poured in 22 of those 33 points in the second half, including a 9-10 (.900) mark from two-point attempts. Bess registered 27 points on 9-17 shooting, including a 7-13 clip from distance, five rebounds and two assists in 37 minutes of action.
After bringing the game within five with 8:13 left in the second quarter, Greensboro went on a 22-9 run, capped by a pullup three-pointer on the wing by forward Robert Franks. Franks led the Swarm in scoring, recording a team-high 29 points, connecting of five of his six attempts from three-point territory, and eight rebounds in 33 minutes.
Erie managed to edge its opponent in offensive rebounds and second-chance points for the second-straight night, mainly in part to forward Zylan Cheatham. Cheatham notched his second double-double of the season with 15 points, a game-high 14 rebounds, six assists and two steals in 32 minutes.
With tonight's game in the books, Erie hits the road for a three-game trip. Starting on Nov. 15, the BayHawks square off with the Capital City Go-Go, followed by matchups with the Lakeland Magic (Nov. 17) and Canton Charge (Nov. 20).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 9, 2019
- Free Throws Doom Suns in Season Opening Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Drop Home Opener to Austin - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hustle Sweep Back-To-Back with Texas Legends - Memphis Hustle
- Trio Grabs Double-Doubles, But South Bay Falls in Season Opener - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Coats Fall to Red Claws in Season Opener - Delaware Blue Coats
- Drive Fall to Go-Go in DC - Grand Rapids Drive
- BayHawks Split Opening Weekend Homstand; Fall to Greensboro - Erie BayHawks
- GAME RECAP: Nets Get First Win of Season in Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Last Second Free Throws Lift Clippers over Suns in Season Opener - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Canton Charges Past Lakeland for Season Opening Victory - Canton Charge
- Langford, Tacko Dominate Blue Coats in Season Opener - Maine Red Claws
- Knicks Home Opener Postponed Due to Court Damage - Westchester Knicks
- Timberwolves Assign Jaylen Nowell to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Pelicans Transfer Josh Gray from the Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Stockton Kings Dominate Santa Cruz Warriors 122-97 in Season Opener - Stockton Kings
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Season Opener 122-97 against the Stockton Kings - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Valentine, Gafford Lead Bulls over Herd, 129-111 - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs Fall to Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Opening Night - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.