Canton Charges Past Lakeland for Season Opening Victory
CANTON, OH - The Canton Charge, The Canton Charge (1-0), powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, opened their 2019-20 season with a decisive 98-74 victory over the Lakeland Magic (1-1) at the Canton Memorial Civic Center on Saturday night. Tonight's victory marks the Charge's first opening win since a 102-91 victory over the Erie BayHawks on November 22, 2013.
Dean Wade started his professional career with a splash going 3-for-3 from behind the arc in the first quarter en route to the first 20 point/20 rebound performance (23-20) since Luke Harangody on March 29, 2012 against the Iowa Energy.
Malik Newman was hot off the bench, tallying 11 points in the first half, including three three-pointers, to help the Charge to a 52-41 advantage at the break. Newman ultimately finished the night with 22 points by knocking down 6-of-9 from the three-point line.
The Charge went on a 10-4 run in the opening four minutes of the third that included back-to-back threes from Levi Randolph and Alex Robinson to extend the advantage to 17. Rookie Marques Bolden kept the momentum with back-to-back dunks to open the fourth quarter, as Canton would lead by as many as 24 on their way to the 98-74 win.
The Charge delivered a dominant performance in the paint, outrebounding the Magic 59-48 and tallying 38 points in the key.
Bolden finished one rebound shy of a double-double with 16 points and nine boards while Randolph directed the offense with a team-high assists. J.P. Macura recorded an solid debut with a team-leading six steals, tying the franchise record, along with eight points and four rebounds.
Josh Magette led the Magic with 18 points and eight assists, going 3-of-7 from behind the arc, followed by Hassani Gravett with 16. Big man Isaac Humphries led the team with 14 rebounds. B.J. Johnson added 12 points, six boards and three steals in 37 minutes.
The Charge continue their three-game homestand to start the season this Wednesday, November 13th at 7:00 p.m. against the Grand Rapids Drive for Ohio Lottery WINSday! For Charge Nation Memberships, group outings, game day promotions and up-to-date information, head to www.CantonCharge.com. or call 866-444-1944. The Canton Charge are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers organization and are also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League, who play their games at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in downtown Cleveland.
Images from this story
Malik Newman of the Canton Charge (right) vs. Lakeland Magic guard Jon Davis
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 9, 2019
- Free Throws Doom Suns in Season Opening Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Drop Home Opener to Austin - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hustle Sweep Back-To-Back with Texas Legends - Memphis Hustle
- Trio Grabs Double-Doubles, But South Bay Falls in Season Opener - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Coats Fall to Red Claws in Season Opener - Delaware Blue Coats
- Drive Fall to Go-Go in DC - Grand Rapids Drive
- BayHawks Split Opening Weekend Homstand; Fall to Greensboro - Erie BayHawks
- GAME RECAP: Nets Get First Win of Season in Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Last Second Free Throws Lift Clippers over Suns in Season Opener - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Canton Charges Past Lakeland for Season Opening Victory - Canton Charge
- Langford, Tacko Dominate Blue Coats in Season Opener - Maine Red Claws
- Knicks Home Opener Postponed Due to Court Damage - Westchester Knicks
- Timberwolves Assign Jaylen Nowell to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Pelicans Transfer Josh Gray from the Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Stockton Kings Dominate Santa Cruz Warriors 122-97 in Season Opener - Stockton Kings
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Season Opener 122-97 against the Stockton Kings - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Valentine, Gafford Lead Bulls over Herd, 129-111 - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs Fall to Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Opening Night - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.