Lamb Stops 52, Broncos Fall in Shootout
The Swift Current Broncos travelled east bound to take on the Brandon Wheat Kings for the fifth of six regular season meetings and goaltender Riley Lamb was on his game as the 20-year-old recorded 52 saves in a 3-2 shootout loss.
Brandon came out firing in the first period as they amassed 21 shots on goal compared to only six shots for Swift Current but only one goal was scored. Wheat Kings forward Baron Thompson scored at the 17:49 mark with Caiden Daley and Ty Thorpe registering assists.
The Wheat Kings doubled their lead to 2-0 as Braden Schneider pocketed his eighth of the season in the second period.
Before the intermission horn, Broncos Import forward Joona Kiviniemi recorded his club-leading 13th of the year to cut the Wheat Kings lead to half at 2-1.
Swift Current played up to Brandon's pace in the third period with the shots on goal coming in at 11-9 for the Wheat Kings. 19-year-old forward Ethan O'Rourke netted the tying goal with 1:20 left to play in regulation, forcing overtime. Rookie defenceman Alex Moar set up the goal for O'Rourke and had two assists on the night.
Overtime solved nothing so a shootout was required and unfortunately for the Broncos, the Wheat Kings' Ben McCartney tallied the lone goal to give Brandon a 3-2 win.
Lamb was named the game's first star for his 52 save performance.
Shots on goal were 55-22 in favour of Brandon. The Wheat Kings power play was 0/6 while the Broncos went 0/1 on their lone man advantage.
Swift Current returns to action on Saturday, February 9th for their Hockey Day in Canada affair vs. the Saskatoon Blades at the Innovation Credit Union i-Plex. Puck drop is set for 5:00pm CT.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2019
- Third Period Gets Away from Swift in 4-1 Loss - Swift Current Broncos
- Blades Spoil Show in Swift Current, Win Third Straight - Saskatoon Blades
- SWX Unable to Broadcast Game - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Welcome the World Sunday - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Visit Spokane for Final Time this Season - Kootenay Ice
- Calgary Hitmen and CMHA Calgary Team up to Raise Awareness for Mental Health - Calgary Hitmen
- Game 53 at Seattle - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Blades Travel to Swift Current for Bout with Broncos - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Everett - Game #54 - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Top ICE 7-4 - Kootenay Ice
- Cougars Succumb to Rockets Rally - Prince George Cougars
- Sogaard Outduels Wolf in 1-0 Setback - Everett Silvertips
- AuCoin Leads Ams to 7-4 Victory over ICE with First Career 5-Point Game - Tri-City Americans
- Sogaard Shuts out Silvertips - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Hawks Shut Down the Thunderbirds in Snowy Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Wrap up Road Trip with a 3-1 Victory in Kamloops - Vancouver Giants
- Rockets Rally for 4-3 Victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Portland Skates Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- McIndoe's Career Night Leads Chiefs to Big Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Defeated by Chiefs - Victoria Royals
- Wheat Kings Buck Broncos in Shootout - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rebels Fail to Cash in During Dominant Third Period and Fall to Visiting Pats in Overtime - Red Deer Rebels
- Lamb Stops 52, Broncos Fall in Shootout - Swift Current Broncos
- Raiders Round Up Wranglers At Stampede Corral - Prince Albert Raiders
- Wranglers Would Like to Trow back 8-2 Loss to Prince Albert - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.