Rockets Rally for 4-3 Victory
The Kelowna Rockets came back to defeat the Prince George Cougars 4-3 Friday night at Prospera Place.
Cole Moberg (11) got the Cougars on the board first 13:13 into the opening period with a power play tally. Josh Curtis (10) extended the lead when he beat Rockets starter, Roman Basran. Nolan Foote (27) cut the lead in half when he picked up a turnover while on the penalty kill putting home his second short-handed goal in as many games. Less than a minute later Josh Curtis (11) restored the Cougars two-goal lead. Prince Geroge held a 3-1 lead through twenty minutes of play.
James Porter replaced Basran in net for the Rockets to start the second period. Cayde Augustine (1) brought the Rockets within one with his first WHL goal while on the man advantage at 9:20. The Cougars were up 3-2 following the second period.
Foote (28) scored his second of the night when he finished off a gorgeous tic tac toe play to tie up the game 8:05 into the third. At 9:05 Taylor Gauthier was forced to leave the game with an injury, Tyler Brennan came on in relief of him. Mark Liwiski (6) scored the game-winning goal at 12:10 when a rebound popped right onto his stick. The Rockets held on for a 4-3 win.
Kelowna's record is now 22-26-4-1.
Porter turned aside 13 of the 16 shots he faced before leaving the game. Basran stopped all 15 shots fired on him, his record moves to 16-14-2-0. The Cougars outshot the Rockets 31-25.
The Rockets head out on the road to face the Kamloops Blazers tomorrow at the Sandman Centre. They'll return home to face the Everett Silvertips Friday, February 15th at Prospera Place. Tickets are on sale at selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets celebrate a goal
(Marissa Baecker/ Kelowna Rockets Images)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2019
- Third Period Gets Away from Swift in 4-1 Loss - Swift Current Broncos
- Blades Spoil Show in Swift Current, Win Third Straight - Saskatoon Blades
- SWX Unable to Broadcast Game - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Welcome the World Sunday - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Visit Spokane for Final Time this Season - Kootenay Ice
- Calgary Hitmen and CMHA Calgary Team up to Raise Awareness for Mental Health - Calgary Hitmen
- Game 53 at Seattle - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Blades Travel to Swift Current for Bout with Broncos - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Everett - Game #54 - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Top ICE 7-4 - Kootenay Ice
- Cougars Succumb to Rockets Rally - Prince George Cougars
- Sogaard Outduels Wolf in 1-0 Setback - Everett Silvertips
- AuCoin Leads Ams to 7-4 Victory over ICE with First Career 5-Point Game - Tri-City Americans
- Sogaard Shuts out Silvertips - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Hawks Shut Down the Thunderbirds in Snowy Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Wrap up Road Trip with a 3-1 Victory in Kamloops - Vancouver Giants
- Rockets Rally for 4-3 Victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Portland Skates Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- McIndoe's Career Night Leads Chiefs to Big Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Defeated by Chiefs - Victoria Royals
- Wheat Kings Buck Broncos in Shootout - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rebels Fail to Cash in During Dominant Third Period and Fall to Visiting Pats in Overtime - Red Deer Rebels
- Lamb Stops 52, Broncos Fall in Shootout - Swift Current Broncos
- Raiders Round Up Wranglers At Stampede Corral - Prince Albert Raiders
- Wranglers Would Like to Trow back 8-2 Loss to Prince Albert - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.