Kontos Wins Eastern League Pitcher Of The Week
(NORWICH, CT) - The Trenton Thunder, the Double-A affiliate of the New York Yankees, have announced that RHP George Kontos has been named the Bank of America Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for the week ending August 3rd.
Kontos, who is a native of Lincolnwood, Illinois, made one appearance for the Thunder last week and had a 0.00 ERA. The 23-year old faced the Altoona Curve on Thursday afternoon at Waterfront Park in his lone start of the week and struck out 13 batters over eight shutout innings of work. He gave up only one hit and one walk to earn a no-decision in a 1-0, 10-inning win for the Thunder. The 6'3", 215 lb. hurler is currently ranked second in the league in strikeouts (123). Kontos posted a record of 11-9 with 183 strikeouts and a 3.39 ERA, in 172.1 innings pitched between Staten Island (New York-Penn) and Tampa (High-A) during his first two seasons in professional baseball. He was selected by the New York Yankees in the 5th round of the 2006 draft. Kontos went 11-19 with 184 strikeouts and a 5.49 ERA in 219.2 innings during three seasons at Northwestern University.
Kontos' Pitching Line for the week ending August 3, 2008
G W L SV IP H R ER K BB ERA 1 0 0 0 8.0 1 0 0 13 1 0.00
Kontos' Pitching Line for the 2008 Season
G W L SV IP H R ER K BB ERA 22 3 10 0 121.1 103 64 51 123 48 3.78
Trenton continues its road trip on Monday night against the Connecticut Defenders, the Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants. RHP Eric Hacker (5-2, 2.80) will start for Trenton. Connecticut RHP Daryl Maday (0-0, 2.00) will start for the Defenders. Game time is set for 6:35 p.m. Trenton returns home on Thursday August 7th to take on Akron Aeros, the Double-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. Game time on Thursday is set for 7:05 p.m. To purchase tickets call 609-394-3300 or order online at www.trentonthunder.com
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 4, 2008
- Malo Pushes B-Mets Ahead In Extras - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve blanked in loss - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs pull out 'W' late - Portland Sea Dogs
- Pinckney, Smith hit 3-run HRs in 12-4 rout of New Britain - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 'Wolves Fall 8-7 to Harrisburg - Erie SeaWolves
- Rock Cats take advantage of opportunities in win - New Britain Rock Cats
- Despite late surge. Defenders fall - Connecticut Defenders
- Sens escape with win over Erie - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder hold on for victory - Trenton Thunder
- New Safety Netting at Dodd Stadium - Connecticut Defenders
- Red Hot Baysox Host Busy Week - Bowie Baysox
- Francisco Cervelli transferred from Gulf Coast League Yankees to Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- Kontos Wins Eastern League Pitcher Of The Week - Trenton Thunder
- Bank Of America Player Of The Week Announced - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.