Komets Stump the Fuel in 4-1 Loss
INDIANAPOLIS - Beginning a three-game series on Friday night, the Indy Fuel hosted their I-69 rival Fort Wayne Komets. The Komets would take the lead in the first period before seeing Indy tie the game in the second. Scoring two goals in the third period, the Komets would take the first of the three-game series by a score of 4-1.
With each team having power-play chances to start the opening period, neither team would be able to put the puck in the net. Taking advantage of a Fuel turnover, Anthony Nellis sprung himself a breakaway and tucked the puck through the legs of Bakala to give Fort Wayne a 1-0 lead.
Earning an early power play in the second period, the Fuel would tie the game after Matt Marcinew won an offensive zone faceoff and deflected a wrist shot from Terry Broadhurst past Stefanos Lekkas. After several chances on both sides throughout the middle period, the Komets would eventually take the lead back when a wrist shot by Zach Pochiro was deflected and beat Dan Bakala over the shoulder.
The Komets would be the first team to get on the board in the third period when Jackson Leef beat a Fuel defenseman off the boards and put a wrist shot past Bakala. After killing off a penalty of their own, Fort Wayne got back on the power play and AJ Jenks tucked a puck past Bakala to take a 4-1.
Single-Game tickets are now available for Fuel seventh season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of full season, 18 ticket and 12 ticket flex packages by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2019-20 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and 'Like' the Fuel on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2021
- Thunder Defeat Grizzlies 5-4 - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Defeated by Allen Friday Night 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Suffer First Shutout Loss of Season - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers, Williams Blank Rush at Home - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Fall Short against Icemen - Florida Everblades
- Jurusik Makes 40 Saves in Pro Debut, Leads Rays to Comeback Win in Shootout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Extend Point Streak to Five in Shootout Defeat - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets Stump the Fuel in 4-1 Loss - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - April 9 - ECHL
- Rabbits Add Forward Graham Knott - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Everblades at Icemen, April 9, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Wichita, April 9, 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host Kansas City, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- IceHogs Assign Yetman to the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Shepard Re-Assigned to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Gear up for Jacksonville Road Trip - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Nailers, April 9 at 7:10 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.