Game Preview: Stingrays at Nailers, April 9 at 7:10 PM
SC Stingrays at Wheeling Nailers
Friday, April 9, 2021 at the WesBanco Arena at 7:10 PM
Broadcast Info: Watch live on FloHockey | Listen via Mixlr
About Tonight's Game: The South Carolina Stingrays continue a stretch of four road games in five days Friday night when they begin a 3-game series with the Wheeling Nailers at WesBanco Arena. The contest represents the first time the Rays have traveled to Wheeling since the 2016 postseason when the two clubs met in the Eastern Conference Finals. The Nailers visited North Charleston earlier in the 2020-21 season for two games on January 8 and 9, which were both won by SC via 4-2 and 6-3 scores. Prior to a 2-1 overtime loss in Indy to begin their trip on Wednesday, the Rays finished a 3-game series with Greenville last week which saw them go 1-1-1. The Nailers are riding a four-game winning streak, most recently defeating Fort Wayne 4-3 in overtime on Wednesday night. South Carolina is currently in fifth place in the Eastern Conference standings with a points percentage of .548, while Wheeling is at the bottom of the table in seventh at .393. The Nailers rank fifth in the league offensively, scoring 3.0 goals per game. SC has earned points in 13 of their 19 road games this year and have the sixth-best penalty kill in the ECHL at 84.2%.
Scouting the Nailers: Wheeling has a record of 14-23-5-0 in 42 games this season with 25 of their contests coming against the other two teams playing from the Central Division, the Fort Wayne Komets and Indy Fuel. A heavy offensive attack has been led by former Stingray forwards Cody Sylvester (18g, 16a) and Austin Fyten (16g, 3a), as well as Michael Joly who has 16 points (6g, 10a) in 17 ECHL contests. Rookie attacker Matt Alfaro has also made a big impact, ranking second on the club with 30 points (11g, 19a). On the blue line, Patrick McNally has posted 24 points (5g, 19a), while Aaron Thow has earned 18 points (4g, 14a) and rookie Matt Miller has 13 points (5g, 8a). In net, goaltender Shane Starrett has earned a 0.888 save percentage in 14 games and rookie Taran Kozun has played well recently in his first three contests with the Nailers, going 2-1-0 with a 2.68 goals-against average.
Upcoming Home Games
Wednesday, April 14 vs. Orlando, 7:05 p.m.
Friday, April 16 vs. Orlando, 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, April 17 vs. Jacksonville, 6:05 p.m.
Wednesday, April 21 vs. Jacksonville, 7:05 p.m.
Friday, April 23 vs. Greenville, 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, April 24 vs. Greenville, 6:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2021
- Thunder Defeat Grizzlies 5-4 - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Defeated by Allen Friday Night 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Suffer First Shutout Loss of Season - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers, Williams Blank Rush at Home - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Fall Short against Icemen - Florida Everblades
- Jurusik Makes 40 Saves in Pro Debut, Leads Rays to Comeback Win in Shootout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Extend Point Streak to Five in Shootout Defeat - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets Stump the Fuel in 4-1 Loss - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - April 9 - ECHL
- Rabbits Add Forward Graham Knott - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Everblades at Icemen, April 9, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Wichita, April 9, 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host Kansas City, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- IceHogs Assign Yetman to the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Shepard Re-Assigned to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Gear up for Jacksonville Road Trip - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Nailers, April 9 at 7:10 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Carolina Stingrays Stories
- Greenville Gets Past SC in Game 2 to Even Series
- Preview: Game 2: Stingrays at Swamp Rabbits, June 18 at 7:05 PM
- Stingrays Blow by Greenville in Decisive Game 1
- Preview: Game 1: Stingrays vs. Swamp Rabbits, June 16 at 7:05 PM
- Ully Strikes Twice to Send Rays to Eastern Conference Finals