Jeffrey, O'Neill, Murray Named to AHL Second All-Star Team
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The American Hockey League announced today that Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins forward Dustin Jeffrey, defenseman Will O'Neill, and goaltender Matt Murray have all been named to the 2015-16 AHL Second All-Star Team.
This is Jeffrey and O'Neill's first ever selections to a season's All-Star team, while Murray captured the honor for the second time in just his second season in the AHL.
Jeffrey is ranked fourth among all AHL players in points with 60 in 58 games. His 41 assists are also good enough for the fourth-best total in the league this season. The eighth-year pro returned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - the same team he began his professional career with in 2008 - as the result of a trade between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Arizona Coyotes organizations on Feb. 29, 2016. He has 14 points (6G-8A) in 13 games since rejoining the Penguins.
O'Neill is in his first season with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and leads the team with 38 assists while also contributing to a Penguins defense that has allowed the fewest goals in the Atlantic Division. With 46 total points on the season, O'Neill tops all Penguins defensemen and ranks third overall among AHL blueliners. O'Neill took part in his first AHL All-Star Classic earlier this season on Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 in Syracuse, N.Y.
Murray's spot on the AHL's Second All-Star Team was earned by his 20-9-1-0 record in net for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season in addition to his four shutouts, 2.10 goals against average, and league-leading .931 save percentage. The native of Thunder Bay, Ont. was named to the AHL's All-Rookie Team and First All-Star Team for the 2014-15 season.
Murray is currently in the National Hockey League with the Pittsburgh Penguins, where he has an 8-2-0-1 record with a 1.98 goals against average and .930 save percentage.
Jeffrey and O'Neill are the first Penguins skaters named to an AHL All-Star Team since forward Janne Pesonen and defenseman Ben Lovejoy were selected as 2008-09 Second Team All-Stars.
All three All-Star Team members will receive a custom-designed crystal award in recognition of his selection to the 2015-16 AHL Second All-Star Team.
The Penguins' next game is Friday, Apr. 8 against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Individual tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton games can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton season ticket packages for the 2016-17 season are on sale now and are available by contacting the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2016
- IceCaps Release Joyaux from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Shoot from Center Ice and Win 2016-17 Syracuse Crunch Season Tickets - Syracuse Crunch
- 2016 Scotty Bowman Showcase Rosters Announced - Rochester Americans
- Dominik Masin, Matthew Spencer and Jonne Tammela Join Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Canucks Recall Forward Ronalds Kenins from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Goaltender Anthony Stolarz Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Chris Bourque Named to AHL First All-Star Team - Hershey Bears
- Mikko Rantanen Named to 2015-16 AHL All-Star Second Team - San Antonio Rampage
- Goaltender Peter Budaj Named to 2015-16 AHL All-Star First Team - Ontario Reign
- Russo Named to 2015-16 AHL Second All-Star Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Jeffrey, O'Neill, Murray Named to AHL Second All-Star Team - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mike Sislo Named to 2015-16 AHL All-Star Second Team - Albany Devils
- 2015-16 American Hockey League First and Second All-Star Teams Named - AHL
- Adin Hill, Christian Fischer and Dysin Mayo Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wolf Pack's Nieves a Man of Many Talents - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Jonathan Drouin and Matt Taormina - Syracuse Crunch
- San Diego Gulls First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Friday, April 8 - San Diego Gulls
- Flames Recall Drew Shore from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Dallas Stars Recall Jason Dickinson - Texas Stars
- Hurricanes Recall Derek Ryan from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Sabres Recall Forwards Rodrigues, Schneider - Rochester Americans
- Gulls Rally for 6-5 OT Win over Bakersfield - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Fall to Ontario Despite Last Period Shooting Gallery - Stockton Heat
- Condors Stunned in Overtime by San Diego, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Milwaukee - April 6 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Are Regular-Season Pacific Division Champions with Win in Stockton - Ontario Reign
- Rampage Nip Barracuda 4-3 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- RECAP: DeSmith Records 35-Save Shutout in 2-0 Win over Crunch
- Penguins Score Twice in 34 Seconds, Beat Comets. 2-1
- Penguins Bested by Phantoms, 4-2
- Weekly: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Making a Habit of Sudden-Death Overtime
- Penguins Fall to Thunderbirds in Shootout, 4-3