Rampage Nip Barracuda 4-3 in Overtime
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Rampage (30-34-8-0) overcame an early two-goal deficit to beat the San Jose Barracuda (29-24-8-3) 4-3 in overtime in front of 6,062 at the AT&T Center on Wednesday night. Garry Nunn scored the game-winning goal, earning the First Star of the Night while Ben Street and Borna Rendulic each chipped in a goal and an assist to lead the Rampage.
The Barracuda scored in the opening seconds of the game, as Bryan Lerg picked up his 19th of the season just 15 seconds in. Petter Emanuelsson lit the lamp past the midway point of the period, and San Jose took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission.
Rendulic got the Rampage on the board in the second stanza, deflecting a shot by Mikko Rantanen past Aaron Dell on the power play to make it a 2-1 game after 40 minutes of play.
San Antonio's offense came alive in the third period, starting with Ben Street's goal just 57 seconds into the frame. Brandon Gormley notched the third goal for the Silver and Black five minutes later, and the Rampage took their first lead of the night, 3-2.
Just when it looked like the Rampage might be on their way to a come-from-behind win, the Barracuda struck again, as Lerg scored his second of the game, sending the contest to overtime.
With time winding down in the extra frame, the Rampage had an extra skater because of a delayed penalty, and Joey Hishon found Nunn on a break, and Nunn punched it past Dell to seal the win for the Rampage.
Ben Street has recorded a multiple-point game in seven of his 11 games played this season... San Antonio has now won five consecutive home games and six of their last seven.
Nick Drazenovic, Ben Street and Dennis Everberg made up San Antonio's top line, while Mikko Rantanen centered Sam Henley and Borna Rendulic on the second line. Jackson Houck, who signed an amateur tryout contract with San Antonio Wednesday, made his Rampage debut, playing on the fourth line with Troy Bourke and Alex Belzile.
The Rampage open a two-game series with the Iowa Wild on Friday, April 8 at 7:30 p.m. at the AT&T Center. Season tickets for the 2016-17 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call a Rampage representative at 210-444-5554 or visit sarampage.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2016
- IceCaps Release Joyaux from ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Shoot from Center Ice and Win 2016-17 Syracuse Crunch Season Tickets - Syracuse Crunch
- 2016 Scotty Bowman Showcase Rosters Announced - Rochester Americans
- Dominik Masin, Matthew Spencer and Jonne Tammela Join Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Canucks Recall Forward Ronalds Kenins from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Goaltender Anthony Stolarz Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Chris Bourque Named to AHL First All-Star Team - Hershey Bears
- Mikko Rantanen Named to 2015-16 AHL All-Star Second Team - San Antonio Rampage
- Goaltender Peter Budaj Named to 2015-16 AHL All-Star First Team - Ontario Reign
- Russo Named to 2015-16 AHL Second All-Star Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Jeffrey, O'Neill, Murray Named to AHL Second All-Star Team - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mike Sislo Named to 2015-16 AHL All-Star Second Team - Albany Devils
- 2015-16 American Hockey League First and Second All-Star Teams Named - AHL
- Adin Hill, Christian Fischer and Dysin Mayo Report to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wolf Pack's Nieves a Man of Many Talents - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Jonathan Drouin and Matt Taormina - Syracuse Crunch
- San Diego Gulls First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Friday, April 8 - San Diego Gulls
- Flames Recall Drew Shore from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Dallas Stars Recall Jason Dickinson - Texas Stars
- Hurricanes Recall Derek Ryan from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Sabres Recall Forwards Rodrigues, Schneider - Rochester Americans
- Gulls Rally for 6-5 OT Win over Bakersfield - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Fall to Ontario Despite Last Period Shooting Gallery - Stockton Heat
- Condors Stunned in Overtime by San Diego, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Milwaukee - April 6 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Are Regular-Season Pacific Division Champions with Win in Stockton - Ontario Reign
- Rampage Nip Barracuda 4-3 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Rampage Stories
- Jake Walman Named Rampage 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year
- Admirals Top Rampage with Third Period Outburst
- Ingram Leads Admirals to Shutout Win over Rampage
- Stars Defeat Chimuelos on Late Robertson Goal
- Comeback Effort Falls Short against Grand Rapids