Indy Drops Second Straight to Louisville, 4-2
LOUISVILLE, KY - Blake Trahan scored the go-ahead run on a fielder's choice during a two-run eighth that carried the Bats past the Indians 4-2 on Saturday night. The loss was Indy's fourth in five games, but the Clippers were handed another defeat at Toledo to leave the Tribe in a first-place tie in the IL West with nine games remaining.
Louisville (57-71) evened the season series with Indianapolis (69-62) at seven wins apiece thanks to another late-inning rally. With one away, Hernan Iribarren bounced a chopper over the mound for a fielder's choice to score Trahan for the winning run. C.J. McElroy then added a two-out, run-scoring single off Buddy Boshers (L, 0-1) for an insurance run.
Kevin Quackenbush (S, 24) struck out the side in the ninth for the save.
The Bats used RBI doubles by Brian O'Grady and Josh VanMeter in the first and second frames to grab a 2-0 lead.
The Indians cut the lead in half in the third, however, on Eric Wood's second homer of the series and 10th overall.
Indy leveled the score at 2-2 on a Jose Osuna sacrifice fly in the sixth. Osuna had two of the Indians' six hits in the loss.
Alex McRae fired 4.0 shutout frames in relief of Magnifico, striking out four along the way. Michael Feliz worked a scoreless seventh before Boshers was charged with two runs in the eighth on two hits and two walks.
Tyler Mahle took a no-decision for Louisville after surrendering two runs in 7.0 innings of work. He walked one and struck out four. Tanner Rainey (W, 6-2) earned the win.
The Indians return to Victory Field on Sunday for their half of the split series with Louisville, with first pitch set for 1:35 p.m. EDT. Right-hander Mitch Keller (2-2, 5.31) will start for the Tribe opposite Bats righty Lucas Sims (4-5, 2.99).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 25, 2018
- Chavis Homers, Leads PawSox to 8-5 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides Give Big Crowd Walk-Off Win in 10 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Get Back to .500 with Twin-Bill Sweep - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Drop Saturday's Day/Night Doubleheader to Stripers - Charlotte Knights
- Despite Davis' Record, Bisons Fall to Pawtucket, 8-5 - Buffalo Bisons
- Mud Hens Defeat Clippers in Front of Sell Out - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Rally Again for 4-2 Win over Indians - Louisville Bats
- Plates Defend the Golden Fork with 3-1 Win Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Indy Drops Second Straight to Louisville, 4-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Offense Struggles in 2-1 Setback - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- In Second Duel of the Dishes, Salt Potatoes Fall to Plates, 3-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Saturday, August 25, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 25 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (69-61) at Louisville Bats (56-71) - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Indians Clipped by Bats in 10 Innings, 3-1
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (9-5) vs. Louisville Bats (7-9)
- Tucker Recalled, Reynolds' Contract Selected by Pirates
- Bats Best Tribe Behind Three-Run First
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (9-4) vs. Louisville Bats (6-9)