Knights Drop Saturday's Day/Night Doubleheader to Stripers
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) - The Charlotte Knights dropped both games of Saturday's day/night doubleheader to the Gwinnett Stripers at BB&T Ballpark in Uptown Charlotte. The Knights lost game one by a score of 11-5 and game two by a score of 7-4.
The Knights rallied in the bottom of the ninth inning of game one and game two, but fell just short the end of both games. In each of the games, the Knights tallied nine hits.
Charlotte third baseman Patrick Leonard had two hits in game one and later launched his 11th home run of the season in game two of the twin bill. Leonard's 399-foot blast was a two-run shot in the bottom of the sixth inning of game two. Right fielder Trayce Thompson also homered in game two, his third home run of the season. Shortstop Jake Elmore had two hits, two runs scored, an RBI, and a stolen base in game one.
RHP Brandon Brennan (0-1, 27.00) was saddled with the loss in game one, while RHP Ricardo Pinto (2-2, 5.84) took the loss in game two for the Knights.
Overall, BB&T Ballpark welcomed a combined total of 20,306 fans through the gates on Saturday. In game one, the team welcomed 9,685 fans. In game two, the team welcomed 10,621 for the ballpark's 21st sell-out crowd of the season.
The two teams will continue the series on Sunday with a 5:05 p.m. game. Gates will open at 4:00 p.m. and pre-game radio coverage will begin at 4:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad and broadcaster Mike Pacheco will have the call for all of the action. The game will also be broadcast on NBC Sports Chicago with Loren Hibbs joining the broadcast on TV. The game can also be heard live in Spanish on 102.3 FM Latina with broadcasters Rafael Bastidas and Ernesto Hurtado.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 25, 2018
- Chavis Homers, Leads PawSox to 8-5 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides Give Big Crowd Walk-Off Win in 10 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Get Back to .500 with Twin-Bill Sweep - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Drop Saturday's Day/Night Doubleheader to Stripers - Charlotte Knights
- Despite Davis' Record, Bisons Fall to Pawtucket, 8-5 - Buffalo Bisons
- Mud Hens Defeat Clippers in Front of Sell Out - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Rally Again for 4-2 Win over Indians - Louisville Bats
- Plates Defend the Golden Fork with 3-1 Win Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Indy Drops Second Straight to Louisville, 4-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Offense Struggles in 2-1 Setback - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- In Second Duel of the Dishes, Salt Potatoes Fall to Plates, 3-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Saturday, August 25, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 25 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (69-61) at Louisville Bats (56-71) - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Charlotte Knights Nominated for Minor League Baseball's Top Honor
- Matt Parrott Named IL Sports Turf Manager of the Year for Third Straight Season
- Knights Fall to Tides 7-6 in 10 Innings, Ending 2019 Season
- Knights Fall to Tides 11-2 on Sunday
- Knights Back Atop Wild Card Race with 5-2 Win