Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (69-61) at Louisville Bats (56-71)
The Indians and Bats continue their four-game split series tonight in Louisville. Notes are attached.
Location: Louisville Slugger Field
First Pitch: 6:30 p.m. EDT
Game #131 / Road #68: Indianapolis Indians (69-61) @ Louisville Bats (56-71)
Probables: RHP Damien Magnifico (3-2, 3.08) vs. RHP Tyler Mahle (1-1, 3.18)
Radio: Fox Sports 97.5 / AM 1260 / iHeart app
TV: MiLB TV
ABOUT LAST NIGHT: The Indians saw a 4-1 lead vanish in the bottom of the ninth as the Bats used a Gabby Guerrero two-run single off Damien Magnifico to complete a four-run frame. The loss was Indy's seventh in walk-off fashion this season. The Bats scored the game's first run on the first pitch from Tyler Eppler in the bottom of the first, when Josh VanMeter cranked the offering out to right to make it 1-0. The score remained that way until Indy's Eric Wood (solo) and Jose Osuna (three-run) launched dingers of their own in the third to stake Eppler and Co. a 4-1 advantage. The Indians' bullpen blew their 19th save of the season and ninth in August alone, however, to spoil Eppler's bid at win No. 13.
STILL TIED: Indy and Columbus are tied for first place in the IL West with 10 games to play. The Clippers were handed a 3-2 loss last night in Toledo. The Mud Hens sit 2.5 games back in third place and would need to jump Scranton/W-B, Norfolk and one of Indy or Columbus to snag the IL Wild Card spot. The Indians haven't been tied for first in the division this late in the season since Labor Day in 2015 (Sept. 7), when the Tribe lost at Louisville, 3-2. The defeat left Indy in a tie with Columbus and the Indians lost the season series to the Clippers that year 11-10, forcing Indy to enter the Governors' Cup Playoffs as the wild card representative while Columbus went in as division champs.
SEASON SERIES HISTORY: The Tribe took the season series over Louisville last year by winning 15 of the 23 matchups, including a 7-4 mark at Louisville Slugger Field. The Indians have not won the season series over the Bats in consecutive years since a three-year stretch from 1998-2000. Indy went 11-5, 9-7 and 13-3 vs. the Bats in those three years. The Indians currently lead the 2018 season series over Louisville, 7-6, with seven games remaining.
INHERITED RUNNERS: In the month of August, Indians relievers have inherited 26 runners and 14 have scored (53.8%). From April-July, 36 of 101 total inherited runners (35.6%) scored on Tribe relievers. Damien Magnifico allowed all three runners he inherited in the ninth to come around and score. Six of the eight he's inherited in August have scored. Tanner Anderson has seen all six runners he's inherited this month come in to score, as well.
SPOT START: Damien Magnifico will make his fourth start of the season this evening in Louisville. Is his three previous spot starts for the Tribe, he's gone 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 9.0 innings pitched. He has allowed just two hits and five walks with five strikeouts in those three outings combined.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 25, 2018
- Chavis Homers, Leads PawSox to 8-5 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides Give Big Crowd Walk-Off Win in 10 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Get Back to .500 with Twin-Bill Sweep - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Drop Saturday's Day/Night Doubleheader to Stripers - Charlotte Knights
- Despite Davis' Record, Bisons Fall to Pawtucket, 8-5 - Buffalo Bisons
- Mud Hens Defeat Clippers in Front of Sell Out - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Rally Again for 4-2 Win over Indians - Louisville Bats
- Plates Defend the Golden Fork with 3-1 Win Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Indy Drops Second Straight to Louisville, 4-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Offense Struggles in 2-1 Setback - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- In Second Duel of the Dishes, Salt Potatoes Fall to Plates, 3-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Saturday, August 25, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 25 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (69-61) at Louisville Bats (56-71) - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Best Pitching Performance, No. 5: James Marvel-Ed in Triple-A Debut
- Indianapolis Indians 2019 Season in Review
- Hayes, Craig Selected as 2019 Rawlings Gold Glove Award Winners
- Rowdie's Pumpkin Patch Coming to Victory Field
- Indianapolis Indians Announce New Hires