Indians Take Series Opener from PawSox
PAWTUCKET, RI - The Pawtucket Red Sox (30-42) dropped their fourth-straight game on Friday night at McCoy Stadium, falling to the Indianapolis Indians (38-33) in the opener of this three-game series by a final of 4-3.
Former Red Sox and PawSox pitcher Roger Clemens was inducted into the PawSox Hall of Fame during a pregame ceremony. Clemens, the seven-time Cy Young Award winner, became the ninth inductee into the PawSox Hall of Fame.
The Indians struck first in the second inning on a broken-bat, RBI single from Christian Kelley to make it 1-0.
Indianapolis added another in the third thanks to a sacrifice fly from Kevin Kramer.
Pawtucket took the lead in the bottom half of the third on a three-run, opposite field home run from Sam Travis, which extended his on-base streak to 31 games. It was Travis's fourth home run of the season.
PawSox starter Kyle Hart worked into the seventh inning, giving up 3 earned runs and striking out a pair.
But Indianapolis tied the game in the sixth on an RBI double from Nick Franklin, and they regained the lead in the seventh on a run-scoring single from Cole Tucker.
The Indians put the lead man on in six of the nine innings, and they clubbed five doubles.
Pawtucket went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position. Over their last three games, the PawSox have gone 5-for-39 with runners in scoring position.
The PawSox continue their three-game series with the Indians tomorrow night at McCoy at 6:15 p.m. Pawtucket right-hander Teddy Stankiewicz (4-4, 3.76) will be opposed by Indians righty Alex McRae (5-2, 5.10).
The game will be televised live on myRITV as well as Charter TV3. Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 5:45 p.m.
The homestand runs through Tuesday, June 25. Tomorrow will start with a Free Youth Clinic on the field from 2:00-3:15 p.m. Before the game, PawSox manager Billy McMillon and former team general manager Lou Schwechheimer will be inducted into the International League Hall of Fame in special pre-game ceremonies. After the game, fans will be treated to Post-Game Fireworks set to a Beatles theme. Sunday is a Family Funday with a pre-game catch on the field and post-game run the bases. Monday will be Quarter Dog Night at McCoy as fans can purchase up to five hot dogs at a time for just 25 cents apiece. Tuesday, the final day of the homestand, is another Osos Polares night.
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 21, 2019
- Toledo Splits Doubleheader with Rochester - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Start Summer with Doubleheader Split Friday in Toledo - Rochester Red Wings
- Tucker's Three Hits Propel Indians Past PawSox - Indianapolis Indians
- Clippers rout Pigs in series opener - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- VanMeter Records Three Hits in 9-6 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Escobar's Walk-Off Grand Slam Wins It for Knights on Friday - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Homers Three Times, Defeats Gwinnett 10-6 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Alcantara Grand Slam Powers Mets to 10-6 Victory over Stripers - Syracuse Mets
- Indians Take Series Opener from PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders' Rally Falls Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Complete Sweep of Doubleheader against Tides - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Open Doubleheader with 2-1 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Hens to Become 'Toledo Mud Crawlers' During Jeep Fest - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-33) at Pawtucket Red Sox (30-41) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (28-44) at Charlotte Knights (38-33) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Norfolk, DH (5:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Tribe's Jon Schwind Welcomes Latest Challenge - Indianapolis Indians
- Nick Curran Named to 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game Broadcast - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.