Impact Acquires England Youth International Centre-Back Luis Binks
MONTREAL - The Montreal Impact announced on Tuesday the acquisition of England youth international centre-back Luis Binks (pronunciation : Lou-wee). Binks will occupy an international roster slot and will join the club upon receiving his international transfer certificate and passing his medical.
"We are very happy to acquire this young player with a very high ceiling," said Impact sporting director Olivier Renard. "Luis has chosen this club and Montreal to continue his career. He is a defender with high passing quality, who has shown great maturity on the field since the start of camp in St. Petersburg. We hope he'll integrate well into the group and acclimate quickly to MLS."
Binks, 18, is joining the Impact after coming through the Tottenham Hotspur academy, joining the English Premier League side at the age of 6, in 2007.
He played more than 2,000 minutes in the 2019-20 with the Spurs' U18, U19 and U23 teams, starting eight games in the Premier League 2 with the U23s, appearing in 720 minutes and scoring one goal. He also started two EFL Trophy games, six UEFA Youth League games with the U19s, and eight games in the Premier League U18, wearing the captain's armband in seven of those games. He also recorded more than 2,000 minutes in the 2018-19 season, playing with the U18 team.
At the international level, Binks is part of the English youth setup, making his debut with the U19 team in a friendly game against Germany's U19s, on September 9, 2019. He previously played with England's U16, U17 and U18 teams. He also played with Scotland's U16 and U18 teams.
Transaction: The Montreal Impact has acquired England youth international centre-back Luis Binks (pronunciation : Lou-wee). Binks will occupy an international roster slot and will join the club upon receiving his international transfer certificate and passing his medical.
Weight: 190 lbs
Birthdate and birthplace: September 2, 2001, in Gillingham, England
Last club: Tottenham Hotspur U23 (England)
Date acquired: February 18, 2020
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 18, 2020
- Impact Faces Deportivo Saprissa Wednesday in Costa Rica - Montreal Impact
- Updated MLS Fan Code of Conduct Released for 2020 Season - Colorado Rapids
- McDonough and Alonso Share Excitement at Addition of Midfield Maestro Pizarro - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Signs Phillip Goodrum to Short-Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas' 25th Season Features Refreshed Culinary Options at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Nashville SC Unveils Club's Rituals and Activations for 2020 MLS Opener - Nashville SC
- Where to Grab Gear and Giveaways Before Our MLS Debut - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Defender Alex Roldan - Seattle Sounders FC
- Development Academy Update: U-17s Top Group in 2020 Generation Adidas Cup Qualifying - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Promotes Liam Curran to First Team Goalkeeper Coach - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Acquires England Youth International Centre-Back Luis Binks - Montreal Impact
- Sky Blue FC to Train at Red Bulls Training Facility - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Signs 2020 SuperDraft No. 14 Overall Pick Nkosi Burgess - FC Dallas
- J. Rieger & Co. Reveals 2020 Sporting KC Whiskey Label - Sporting Kansas City
- Philadelphia Union and Subaru of America Announce Stadium Naming Rights Partnership - Philadelphia Union
- New York Red Bulls Sign Partnership with JLab Audio - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Head Coach Ron Jans Resigns - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.