Idaho Steelheads Elect Voluntary Suspension of Play
BOISE, Idaho - In light of COVID-19's continued impact across Idaho and the United States, the Idaho Steelheads are announcing that they will be suspending the 2020-2021 ECHL season under the league's policy for COVID-19. The Idaho Steelheads will prepare to return in October for the 2021-2022 ECHL season.
"This was a difficult decision to come to as we wanted to be able to play this season but because of the continued increase of Covid-19 in the Treasure Valley and United States, we felt our best option was to start preparing for a season in the Fall of 2021," said Steelheads President Eric Trapp. "The future of the Idaho Steelheads is bright, especially with the new improvements to Idaho Central Arena. We will be back and fighting for another ECHL Kelly Cup very soon!"
"We will be communicating directly with our valued season ticket holders and corporate partners in the coming days, and want to thank all of our wonderful fans for their support during what has been a difficult year," said Trapp. "We can't wait to welcome everyone back to Idaho Central Arena when we drop the puck next October."
Under terms of the ECHL/PHPA Collective Bargaining Agreement, all Idaho Steelheads players immediately become free agents for the 2020-21 season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2020
- Thunder Announces 2020-21 Training Camp Roster - Wichita Thunder
- Solar Bears Sign Piccinich, D'Amigo - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- Americans Team up with Allen Police & Fire for Community Engagement & 2020-21 Season - Allen Americans
- Pre-Game Tailgate Party Details Announced for Friday - Rapid City Rush
- Komets Hope to Play in February, Brodeur Signs - Fort Wayne Komets
- Grizzlies Weekly: Season Begins December 11th at Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Season Opens this Weekend - ECHL
- Reading Royals and Met-Ed Announce Joint Volunteer & Community Engagement Initiatives for 2020-2021 - Reading Royals
- Reading Royals Youth Hockey Association Announces Upcoming Clinics and Hockey Camps for Summer 2021 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Look to Begin 2020-21 Season in February - Toledo Walleye
- Idaho Steelheads Elect Voluntary Suspension of Play - Idaho Steelheads
- K-Wings Exercise COVID-19 Voluntary Suspension for 2020-21 Season - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Enact Pandemic Voluntary Suspension for Upcoming Season - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Extend Qualifying Offers to Four Players
- Steelheads, Dallas Stars Sign Two-Year Affiliation Extension
- Steelheads Announce 2020-21 Season-Ending Roster
- Scott Burt Named Rapid City Rush Head Coach
- Steelheads, Everett Sheen Sign Two-Year Contract Extension