IceRays Topple Bucks 4-1 In 2009 Home Finale
Ryan Garbutt scored twice and Kevin Nastiuk made 33 saves on 34 shots as the Corpus Christi IceRays sped past the Laredo Bucks 4-1 at the American Bank Center on Tuesday night in the final home game of 2009. The win was their second straight over the Bucks and the third Corpus Christi win in the last four games. The victory improved the IceRays record to 11-14-4 on the season and 4-2-1 versus the Bucks. Corpus Christi and Laredo will now get set for a New Year's Eve rematch on Thursday at 7:00pm to continue the week. The IceRays return to the American Bank Center to host the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs on Friday night at 5:05pm on New Year's Day. It's Frosty Friday where fans can get half-price 24 oz. beers and sodas at the game. Please note the special 5:05pm start time. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
For the second straight game, the IceRays exploded out of the gates to take early command of the hockey game. Corpus Christi outshot Laredo 15-6 in the first period, and tallied three goals to control the scoreboard. Ryan Garbutt got the scoring started at 3:37 with a wrist shot from the high slot that beat Kyle Gajewski glove side. Later in the period, Garbutt got his second of the night after he picked up a loose puck in the low slot and snapped it home for his ninth goal of the year at 12:47. 59 seconds later Zech Klann scored his first goal with the IceRays on his own rebound that he banked in off Gajewski's skates and into the net at 13:46. The IceRays took their 3-0 lead into the second period.
The Bucks came out quickly in the second period to try and get back into the game. 31 seconds into the period, on a power play, Neil Trimm scored his fifth goal of the year from the low slot to make it 3-1. The Bucks had a number of chances in the period, but Kevin Nastiuk closed the door for the remainder of the frame. At 11:59 Chad Woollard got his team-leading 15th goal from the slot to make it 4-1 IceRays. The Bucks outshot the Rays 13-4 in the period, but the IceRays retained their three-goal lead heading into the third period.
Neither team scored in the final period and the IceRays protected their 4-1 lead to win their second straight against Laredo.
Kevin Nastiuk (6-8-2) earned the win making 33 saves on 34 shots while Gajewski (3-5-2) made 29 saves on 33 shots suffering the loss. The IceRays power play went 0-5 and the Bucks went 1-7. The IceRays were outshot by the Bucks 34 -33 in the game.
The IceRays return to the American Bank Center to host the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs on Friday night at 5:05pm on New Year's Day. It's Frosty Friday where fans can get half-price 24 oz. beers and sodas at the game. Please note the special 5:05pm start time. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 29, 2009
- Sundogs Fall 4-2 To Brown, Gorillas - Arizona Sundogs
- Gorillas Handle Arizona - Amarillo Gorillas
- IceRays Topple Bucks 4-1 In 2009 Home Finale - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Three Goal First Stops RiverKings Streak Hopes - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mavericks Take Down Riverkings 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bucks Fall Again In Corpus 4-1 - Laredo Bucks
- Kaleniecki Scores Two But Thunder Falls - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Activate Bernier; Gardner Granted Leave By League - Arizona Sundogs
- Justin Bowers Voted Into CHL All-Star Team Starting Lineup - Allen Americans
- Rush & Eagles Game Rescheduled For February 28th - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles-Rush December 26 Game Rescheduled For February 28 - Colorado Eagles
- Nelson, Schneekloth Voted All-Star Starters - Colorado Eagles
- CHL All-Star Team Starters Announced - CHL
- RiverKings Make Final 2009 Home Appearance Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Don't Mess With Texas, Brahmas Sign Perrott - Fort Worth Brahmas
- RiverKings Make Deal With Wichita - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunder Strengthens Both Sides Of Puck In Trade - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Sign Former Hobey Baker Award Nominee - Laredo Bucks
- Amarillo Wins "CHL Performance of the Week" - Amarillo Gorillas
- Amarillo's Offensive Outburst Wins Weekly Award - CHL
- Bucks Look To Snap Streak At Corpus Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale