Heat Fall to Griffins 4-3 in SO
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat fell to the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings) 4-3 in a shootout on Friday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat sits in second in the West Division with a 33-17-4-2 record and 72 points.
Max Reinhart scored two goals, tallying five points (3-2-4) in his last five games. Sven Baertschi earned two points on the night (1-1-2).
The Heat took the early lead with a power play goal by Sven Baertschi at 6:11 in the first period. Baertschi's goal was assisted by Ben Street and Corey Locke. The Griffins tied up the game at 16:44, with a goal from Teemu Pulkkinen. The first period ended with the Griffins outshooting the Heat 12-11.
Teemu Pulkkinen scored his second goal of the night at 3:49 in the second period. Max Reinhart responded with a goal at 16:09, assisted by Brett Olson and Ben Hanowski. The Griffins quickly rallied with a goal at 19:40, by Calle Jarnkrok, giving Grand Rapids the 3-2 lead.
Max Reinhart scored the lone goal of the third period at 16:07, assisted by Sven Baertschi and Kane Lafranchise pushing the game into overtime. Both teams' remained scoreless in the overtime.
Sven Baertschi put one past Peter Mrazek in the fourth round, while the next two shooters were unsuccessful. In the fifth round, Brennan Evans scored to keep the shootout alive.The goalies stopped the next five shooters,until Griffins defenseman, Gleason Fournier found the back of the net in the eighth round.
Abbotsford was one for three on the power play and killed off two of the three man advantages for the Griffins.
Olivier Roy made 34 of 37 saves while Petr Mrazek stopped 31 out of 34 shots.
The Heat will take on the Grand Rapids Griffins again tomorrow night, Saturday March 1st at the AESC. For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2014
- Another 5-4 Contest Goes to OKC - Rockford IceHogs
- Kellan Lain Reassigned to the Comets - Utica Comets
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 5-4 in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Fans Can Redeem Tickets for Game Postponed on March 1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Falcons Fall To Bruins In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Dramatic Late Comeback in Overtime Loss at Syracuse - Adirondack Phantoms
- With Viktor Comes The Spoils - Manchester Monarchs
- Sound Tigers Fall In Search Of Eighth Straight Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack downs Portland - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Defeat Falcons 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Streaks Snapped in Sharks' 2-1 Win at Bridgeport - Worcester Sharks
- Checkers Pick up Road Victory in Hershey - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Storm Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Texas Stars Game at San Antonio Suspended Due to Unsafe Ice - Texas Stars
- Wolf Pack Outlast Pirates 4-2 - Portland Pirates
- Rampage vs. Stars to be Postponed Until Later Date - San Antonio Rampage
- Heat Fall to Griffins 4-3 in SO - Abbotsford Heat
- Flames Recall Chad Billins from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas-San Antonio AHL Game Suspended Due to Unsafe Ice - AHL
- Hutchinson Sensational in Shutout Win - St. John's IceCaps
- B-Sens Blanked 1-0 in St. John's - Binghamton Senators
- RECAP: Kostopoulos Grabs 20th Goal of Season to Lead Pens past Devils - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Can't Hold Off Penguins - Albany Devils
- Marlies Fall 5-2 against Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Bulldogs Thump Marlies 5-2 for Third Straight Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pirates Start Home and Home Weekend in Hartford - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goalie Josh Robinson to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Islanders Recall Nilsson, Loan Poulin to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kuhnhackl and Zlobin Return to Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Pitlick Nets Game-Winner in OT to Lift Barons Past Rockford - Oklahoma City Barons
- Admirals, Rinne Roll over Iowa 9-1 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Griffins Overcome Heat in Shootout Thriller - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.