Heat Fall to Comets 3-1
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat lost to the Utica Comets (AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks) 3-1 on Saturday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat remain in second place in the West Division with a 34-22-5-2 record and 75 points.
The Comets played a fantastic road game as they jumped out to a 2-0 lead after forty minutes and did not look back. Utica captain Colin Stuart led the way offensively with two goals, while in net; Joacim Eriksson was incredible earning first star honours.
The two teams remained scoreless in the first period, as Abbotsford outshot Utica 10-8. The Heat had four chances on the man advantage in the opening 20 minutes, but could not capitalize.
A scoreless tie was broken in the second period, as Utica opened up a 2-0 lead on goals from Brandon DeFazio at 8:47 and Colin Stuart at the 15:25 mark.
The Comets struck early in the third period at 3:55, courtesy of Colin Stuart, who scored his second of the game to make it 3-0. The Heat replied with Ben Street scoring on a 5 on 3 power play, assisted by Corey Locke and Derek Smith at 12:40, but that's as close as they would come.
The Heat finished the night going one out of six on the power play, and killed off two Comets power play attempts.
In goal, Joacim Eriksson stopped 38 of the 39 shots he faced in a winning effort. Olivier Roy was charged the loss stopping 31 of 34 shots.
The Heat will now embark on a six game road trip that kicks off in Hamilton on Wednesday March 19th against the Bulldogs. The next Heat home game is against the Rockford IceHogs on Friday, April 4th at 7:00 pm at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. For tickets, please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2014
- Amerks Close out Weekend with 7-3 Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Devils Shut It Down Defensively, Again - Albany Devils
- Rampage Drop Series Finale to Iowa 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Wild Wins Third Straight, Defeats Rampage 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Dallas Stars Return Center Travis Morin to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Etem's Two Goals Pace Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Crunch Shut out in Albany - Syracuse Crunch
- Stars Too Bright for Wolves in OT - Chicago Wolves
- Whitmore Strikes Twice But Not Enough in Comeback Effort - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hedden's OT Goal Lifts Texas to 3-2 Win over Chicago - Texas Stars
- Admirals Hang on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Earn 4-1 Victory over Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack Tripped in Overtime - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Fall to Marlies 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Defeat the Wolf Pack 3-2 in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Streak Finnished - Manchester Monarchs
- Sound Tigers Slip past Phantoms 5-4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks Chomp 6th Straight in 5-1 Win over Manchester - Worcester Sharks
- Checkers Stumble against Lake Erie - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Win 3-2 in Charlotte - Cleveland Monsters
- Heat Fall to Comets 3-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Amerks Sign Bushee and Sauer to PTO Contracts - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Recall Olkinuora from Ontario Reign - St. John's IceCaps
- Rampage Recall F Anthony Luciani - San Antonio Rampage
- Buffalo Sabres Recall Goaltender Nathan Lieuwen - Rochester Americans
- Jets Recall Patrice Cormier from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Hartzell Assigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Halt Rampage 4-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.