Hartenstein's 32 Points Earn Vipers Win over Austin
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (20-10) defeated Austin Spurs (14-17), 129-98, on Friday night. Houston Rockets assignee, Isaiah Hartenstein, earned yet another double-double with 32 points and 15 rebounds. His 32 points is a season-high.
The Vipers took advantage of Hartenstein's 12 points in the first quarter and outscored the Spurs 25-17 by the end of the period. RGV started the game on an 8-0 run to create some space early.
Austin was outscored in the second quarter as well, 26-19, as the Vipers secured the halftime advantage, 51-36. Hartenstein continued his domination on the court and at this point, totaled a double-double with 22 points and ten rebounds. Michael Frazier contributed on defense by grabbing three steals and drained nine points by the end of the first half.
Two-way player, Drew Eubanks had eight points for the Spurs at the break. Amidah Brimah was active on offense as well, tallying six points for the visiting squad off the bench.
The third quarter belonged to RGV as they cruised by the Spurs, 90-63, a 27-point difference. Chris Walker tallied seven points thus far including a monster jam to electrify the home road at the tail end of the quarter.
Austin spread the ball around well but never found their groove as the Vipers locked in the victory, 129-98. RGV had a 35-point lead tonight. It was a night of season-highs for the Vipers as Jordan Johnson dished out nine assists to lock in a new season-high; he had 12 points as he neared the double-double. Jacobi Boykins found his groove from beyond the arc and hit six threes on his way to a season-high of 22 points.
Brimah earned a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds adding on three assists and seven blocks. San Antonio Spurs assignee, Lonnie Walker IV, totaled 14 points and eight rebounds. Two-way player, Ben Moore, totaled 11 rebounds tonight for the Spurs.
The Vipers earn fifth-straight win tonight while Austin earned their sixth-straight loss on the road.
The Vipers return to Bert Ogden Arena to take on Texas Legends on Saturday, January 26. Tipoff will be at 7 p.m. (CST). For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 25, 2019
- Second Half Turns Sour for Suns in Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Drive Fall to Go-Go in DC - Grand Rapids Drive
- Hartenstein's 32 Points Earn Vipers Win over Austin - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Blue Coats Fall Short of Sioux Falls - Delaware Blue Coats
- Charge Fall to Herd 117-105 - Canton Charge
- Magic Stung by Swarm - Lakeland Magic
- Hustle Can't Knock off Knicks - Memphis Hustle
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Stars Unveil Donovan Mitchell Bobblehead - Salt Lake City Stars
- Mitch Creek Signs 10-Day Contract with Brooklyn Nets - Long Island Nets
- Stockton Kings Defeat Iowa Wolves in Overtime Nail Biter, 120-117 - Stockton Kings
- Bennett's Game Winner Lifts Clippers over Stars in OT - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Stars Fall in Overtime to Clippers - Salt Lake City Stars
- Iowa Goes Down in Overtime Thriller against Stockton - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Plays Memphis on Frontend of Back to Back - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.