Magic Stung by Swarm
The Lakeland Magic, NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, fell short to the Greensboro Swarm 106-98, in front of a home crowd at the RP Funding Center.
Greensboro stung the Magic early with a seven point run to take the lead 17-14 with 6:07 remaining in the first. The Magic would retake the lead with 3:54 on the clock but the Swarm were back on top 32-26 at the end of the first. The Magic scored nine points straight at the start of the second and would regain the lead on a layup by Antonio Campbell with 10:03 left in the quarter. The Swarm kept control in the second to take an eight point lead into the locker room. The three was the difference maker in the first half with the Swarm shooting 52.6 percent compared to the Magic's 35.7 percent.
The Swarm would take their largest lead of the night, up 14 points with 7:38 remaining in the third. The Magic went on a 15-3 run and would regain control on a three point shot by Gabe York with the score 77-74 heading into the fourth. The final quarter was a battle but the Swarm outscored the Magic 32-21 to take the 106-98 victory.
BJ Johnson led the team in scoring with 21 points and 4 rebounds. Amile Jefferson posted his eighteenth double-double of the season with 17 points and 17 rebounds. Braian Angola came off the bench to score 16 points on the night. Anthony Brown had 12 points and 4 rebounds. Gabe York scored 11 points.
For the Swarm, Cat Barber had an impressive 25 points. Joe Chealey scored 19 points and 5 rebounds. Jaylen Barford scored 13 points and 5 rebounds. Malik Pope had 11 points and 6 rebounds.
The Magic head out to the west coast to take on the South Bay Lakers on Monday, January 28 at 10:00PM. The game will take place at the UCLA Health Training Center in El Segundo, CA.
Lakeland Magic single game tickets and group tickets are available now. For ticket information, visit lakelandmagic.com or call 863.825.3258.
Amile Jefferson 17 points, 17 rebounds
BJ Johnson 21 points
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 25, 2019
- Second Half Turns Sour for Suns in Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Drive Fall to Go-Go in DC - Grand Rapids Drive
- Hartenstein's 32 Points Earn Vipers Win over Austin - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Blue Coats Fall Short of Sioux Falls - Delaware Blue Coats
- Charge Fall to Herd 117-105 - Canton Charge
- Magic Stung by Swarm - Lakeland Magic
- Hustle Can't Knock off Knicks - Memphis Hustle
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Stars Unveil Donovan Mitchell Bobblehead - Salt Lake City Stars
- Mitch Creek Signs 10-Day Contract with Brooklyn Nets - Long Island Nets
- Stockton Kings Defeat Iowa Wolves in Overtime Nail Biter, 120-117 - Stockton Kings
- Bennett's Game Winner Lifts Clippers over Stars in OT - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Stars Fall in Overtime to Clippers - Salt Lake City Stars
- Iowa Goes Down in Overtime Thriller against Stockton - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Plays Memphis on Frontend of Back to Back - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.