Grizzlies Take Series on Boyer's Game-Winning Bunt
FRESNO, Calif. - Brad Boyer laid down a game-winning bunt single with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to give the Fresno Grizzlies a 4-3 win over the Portland Beavers Thursday night at Chukchansi Park.
After Sean Kazmar tied the game in the top of the ninth inning with a two-out single, Boyer stepped to the plate facing Adam Russell (2-4) with a runner on third and laid down a bunt single to win the game for the Grizzlies (44-23).
Eugenio Velez and John Bowker each tallied multiple hits as the Grizzlies won their third game of the four game series against the Beavers (25-41).
Kazmar had three hits and two RBIs and Chris Stewart finished with multiple hits for the fifth time in his last six games for the Beavers.
The Grizzlies took a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning on a sacrifice fly by Brett Pill and an RBI single by Matt Downs.
The Beavers responded with two runs in the top of the fifth to tie the game at 2-2. Kazmar hit an RBI triple to left field and was later driven in on an RBI single by Mike Baxter.
Joe Borchard hit an RBI double to right field in the fifth inning to give the Grizzlies a 3-2 lead.
With Craig Stansberry on third base with two outs in the ninth inning, Kazmar hit an RBI single to left field to tie the game at 3-3. Despite surrendering his first blown save of the season, Steve Edlefsen (5-0) recorded his fifth win.
Scott Munter, who made a spot start in place of Will Inman, pitched two scoreless innings, giving up only one hit.
Kevin Pucetas gave up two runs on five hits and two walks while striking out six in the no decision.
The Beavers return to Portland for a four-game series with the Tacoma Rainiers beginning Friday at 7:05 p.m. at PGE Park.
NOTES: Baxter extended his hitting streak to 14 games with an RBI single in the fifth inning.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 17, 2010
- Grizzlies Take Series on Boyer's Game-Winning Bunt - Portland Beavers
- Sox Ride Six-Run Fifth to Victory, 7-5 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Express Snap Losing Streak, Beating I-Cubs 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Fall to Express, 6-5 - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Sweep Zephyrs with 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks Hammer Three Homers in Sweep - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds, Redbirds Rained out on Thursday - Nashville Sounds
- Brown Selected to Manage PCL All-Stars - Tacoma Rainiers
- Erik Bennett Selected to 2010 PCL All-Star Field Staff - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Jeff Mathis Completes Rehab - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Launch "Play Ball!" Project To Help Flood-Damaged Youth Baseball Organizations - Nashville Sounds
- Baxter Shines As Beavers Hold On To Beat Grizzlies - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss