Baxter Shines As Beavers Hold On To Beat Grizzlies
Mike Baxter went 3-for-4 with two RBIs and three runs scored as the Portland Beavers beat the Fresno Grizzlies 9-6 Wednesday night at Chukchansi Park.
Sean Kazmar, Josh Barfield, and Chris Stewart each contributed multiple hits as the Beavers (25-40) snapped a seven-game losing streak to the Grizzlies (43-23).
John Bowker, who entered the series with only two home runs, homered for the fourth straight game as the Grizzlies saw their three-game winning streak snapped.
Josh Geer (3-6) gave up four runs (3 earned) on 10 hits while striking out five in six innings to earn his second straight win.
Grizzlies starter Matt Yourkin (4-2) lasted only four innings, giving up five runs on 10
Ernesto Frieri retired the side in order to earn his 14th save of the season.
The Beavers jumped out to an early lead when Baxter drove in Craig Stansberry with a single to center field in the first inning.
Geer tallied his second RBI of the season when he singled to right field in the second inning, driving in Stewart from third base. It was only the third hit of the season for a Beavers pitcher and pushed the early lead to 2-0.
The Grizzlies led off the second inning with consecutive singles and pushed one run across when Brett Pill scored on a groundout by Eugenio Velez.
Stewart and Dusty Ryan hit back-to-back RBI doubles in a third inning that saw the Beavers tally four extra-base hits and stretch their lead to 5-1.
The Grizzlies scored three runs in the fourth inning, highlighted by a two-run double by Steve Holm.
Baxter hit an RBI double to left field as the Beavers tacked on two more runs to take a 7-4 lead in the seventh inning.
Matt Downs and Bowker hit back-to-back home runs to lead off the bottom of the seventh inning to pull the Grizzlies to within one run at 7-6.
Barfield hit an RBI single to left field, driving in Stansberry and Baxter, to extend the Beavers lead to 9-6 in the ninth inning.
The Beavers and Grizzlies meet again Thursday at 7:05 p.m. in the finale of their four-game set at Chukchansi Park.
NOTES: Wednesday's game is the second time this season the Beavers have given up back-to-back home runs ...Grizzlies outfielder Tyler Graham entered the game as a pinch hitter in the eighth inning and singled to extend his hitting streak to 16 games ... Frieri is second in the PCL with 14 saves this season.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 17, 2010
- Grizzlies Take Series on Boyer's Game-Winning Bunt - Portland Beavers
- Sox Ride Six-Run Fifth to Victory, 7-5 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Express Snap Losing Streak, Beating I-Cubs 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Fall to Express, 6-5 - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Sweep Zephyrs with 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks Hammer Three Homers in Sweep - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds, Redbirds Rained out on Thursday - Nashville Sounds
- Brown Selected to Manage PCL All-Stars - Tacoma Rainiers
- Erik Bennett Selected to 2010 PCL All-Star Field Staff - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Jeff Mathis Completes Rehab - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Launch "Play Ball!" Project To Help Flood-Damaged Youth Baseball Organizations - Nashville Sounds
- Baxter Shines As Beavers Hold On To Beat Grizzlies - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss