Glads Muzzle Solar Bears in Thrilling OT Win
DULUTH, GA - The Atlanta Gladiators topped the Orlando Solar Bears in thrilling fashion when they earned a 5-4 overtime victory on the back of F Samuel Asselin's hat trick and four-point night.
The Gladiators' defensive energy in the opening minutes Friday evening was in direct contrast to how they finished Wednesday's contest. The home team contested every Orlando shot, and stood tall against their division rivals. Their efforts were eventually rewarded with 5:48 to play in the first period. The line of Providence Bruins' forwards teamed up when F Scott Conway and F Samuel Asselin fed 2020 ECHL All-Star Tommy Marchin near the halfboards. The Algonac, MI native ripped a shot by Orlando G Zach Fucale to give the Glads an early advantage.
In the second frame, Atlanta's struggling power play started to click. F Logan Nelson found D Zach Malatesta at the blue line where the Boston, MA native launched one of his patented long-range blasts. The shot was initially saved by Fucale before Asselin's backhand rebound finish. The French Canadian's 13th goal of the season double Atlanta's lead less than five minutes into the period.
The visitors found their footing in the second, as former Greenville Swamp Rabbit Johno May netted an unassisted goal with 12:09 to play in the frame. Next for Orlando, it was newcomer Taylor Cammarata snagging his first goal for the Solar Bears to tie the game. F Jake Coughler snagged his second goal in as many games in Atlanta to give Orlando their first lead of the night, sending the Gladiators to the second intermission with a one-goal deficit.
Less than three minutes into the third period, D Robbie Hall found F Eric Neiley in the offensive zone before the team's point leader had a shot saved by Fucale. The rebound was cleaned up by team captain Derek Nesbitt to tie the game 3-3. The tally was the veteran's 299th ECHL goal. Just over five minutes into the frame, the rookie sensation Asselin struck again. His unassisted wrist shot rippled the back of the net to bring the raucous crowd to its feet and regain the lead.
Atlanta's defense hustled to outlast the stingy Solar Bears, but the visitors found a game-tying goal with 6:28 to play in regulation when F Peter Abbandonato and F Trevor Olson assisted D Blake Kessel on his third goal of the season. Neither team found a winner in the allotted sixty minutes, sending the contest to overtime.
Just :68 seconds into the overtime frame, Malatesta and D Joel Messner weaved around Orlando's defense to find Asselin once again. The night's biggest star navigated to the slot before ripping the game-winning score beyond Fucale to give Atlanta the 5-4 victory. Asselin's hat trick was his second of the season, following another three-goal performance in the November 3rd win over Greenville.
Atlanta hits the road Saturday evening when they visit the South Carolina Stingrays in North Charleston at 6:05 PM. The Gladiators return home Monday afternoon for a 12:35 PM tilt against the rival Greenville Swamp Rabbits in an MLK Day Matinee presented by Northside Hospital.!
Images from this story
Atlanta Gladiators forward Samuel Asselin vs. the Orlando Solar Bears
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2020
- Glads Muzzle Solar Bears in Thrilling OT Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Atlanta's Asselin Tricks Solar Bears in 5-4 OT Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Drop Wild Overtime Affair in Brampton - Maine Mariners
- Late Goal Hands Indy Second Straight Loss - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Comeback Bid Falls Just Short in Ammirato's Return - Norfolk Admirals
- Five Different Scorers Lead K-Wings to Victory over Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Take over ECHL Points Lead with 4-1 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Edge Admirals for Eighth Time - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Tripped up in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Vallorani Scores in OT as Beast Win Back-And-Forth Slugfest - Brampton Beast
- Mackin Strikes Twice, Royals Fend off Thunder, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- IceMen Fall Short at South Carolina - Jacksonville IceMen
- Wings Hold off Nailers, 5-4 - Wheeling Nailers
- Disallowed Goal in Third Costs Adirondack in 4-2 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - January 17 - ECHL
- Saturday's Military Appreciation Night Game Sold Out - Jacksonville IceMen
- Cam Maclise Signs PTO with AHL's Chicago Wolves - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Northside Hospital Steps up Big for Gwinnett County - Atlanta Gladiators
- Grizzlies Preview: Wichita at Utah, January 17th, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Five-Game Homestand Begins vs. Division Foe Thunder - Reading Royals
- Powering Through: Power Play Pushes 'Blades to 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.