Gladiators Fall Short in Scoring Frenzy with Savannah 5-4
DULUTH, Ga. The Atlanta Gladiators (9-8-0-0) fell to the Savannah Ghost Pirates (6-10-2-1) in a nine-goal shootout on Saturday night.
1. L. Drevitch
2. P. Guay
3. G. Luce
Savannah opened the scoring with a tally from forward Vincent Marleau after the puck took a fortuitous bounce in traffic, sneaking past the right pad of Tyler Harmon. (6:26)
The Gladiators were able to tie the game less than a minute later as Ryan Cranford drove in on a breakaway and netted the dish with a backhand shot past Savannah netminder Michael Bullion to knot the game up at one apiece. (6:58)
The Gladiators took the lead seven minutes into the second stanza after Alex Whelan intercepted the puck at center ice and beat the blocker of Bullion. (3:51)
Things would continue to err in favor of Atlanta as defenseman Griffin Luce extended the lead to 3-1 after sniping a shot into the top right corner. (9:02)
Not to be outdone by their peach state counterparts, the Ghost Pirates exploded for three goals in less than seven minutes to take the lead - headlined by two goals from Logan Drevitch (10:36, 15:23) and another from Anthony Collins. (17:18)
Despite the shift in momentum, the Gladiators were able to tie the game after delivering on yet another breakaway, this time from Mitch Fossier, as he jammed the puck through the five-hole of Bullion. (19:06)
Savannah broke the tie early in the third frame after Brent Pederson scored from the slot to put the Ghost Pirates up by one. (4:48)
The Gladiators bowed up and went on full attack mode, outshooting the Ghost Pirates 20-8 in the third period.
Despite a handful of promising chances, Bullion was able to deny each attempt as the Ghost Pirates exacted their revenge after losing at Gas South Arena a week prior.
Harmon ended the night with 18 saves off of 23 shots while his counterpart Michael Bullion ended the night registering 38 saves off of 42 Atlanta shots.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 5, 2023
- Defenseman Cody Haiskanen Loaned to AHL's Ontario Reign - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 5 - ECHL
- Carson Gicewicz Recalled from Loan to AHL Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 5 - Tulsa Oilers
- Murphy Recalled by Wranglers, Rush Add D-Man Perna - Rapid City Rush
- Teddy Bear Toss Friday - Toledo Walleye
- Millman, Gaucher Join Royals, Chyzowski Recalled from Loan by Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Fall Short in Scoring Frenzy with Savannah 5-4 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Orlando Hands Atlanta 9th Loss in Last Ten Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- A Three-On-One Rush, Rhett Kingston's Journey - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Donate 6,032 Toys and Raise $10,026 in Annual Teddy Bear Toss Event - Idaho Steelheads
- Florida Everblades Heartwarming Tradition Continues with the Return of Teddy Bear Toss - Florida Everblades
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.