Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. San Francisco Bulls
DATE: Saturday, February 16, 2013
TIME: 7:30 p.m.
SITE: Stockton Arena
RADIO: StocktonThunder.com (AmericaOne)/92.5 FM (in house feed)
Stockton Thunder: Edmonton Oilers
San Francisco Bulls: San Jose Sharks
HOME GAME PROMOTIONAL NOTES
Tonight's Promotions: MILITARY APPRECIATION NIGHT
(presented Golden Bear Insurance Company, St. Joseph's Medical Center, Coors Light, Blackwell Heating and Air, The Record, KAT Country 103, and FOX 40 News)
National Anthem Singer: 59th Army Band
Public Address Announcer: DJ Walker
In-Arena Emcees: Alan Sanchez, "Hot Rod"
NEXT HOME GAME
Sunday, Feb. 24 vs. Ontario Reign (4:00 p.m.)
PUCK/FAMILY DAY (Sutter Gould Medical Foundation, Farmers Insurance Company, 99.3 KJOY, Angelina's Italian Cuisine, and 97.7/98.3 KWIN)
The Stockton Thunder looks to end Military Appreciation Weekend on a winning note as they host Northern California rival San Francisco Bulls on Saturday at Stockton Arena. Friday night, the Thunder opened Military Appreciation Weekend with a comeback 2-1 overtime victory over the Ontario Reign. Defenseman Brandon Davidson, in his ECHL debut, scored both goals. The Thunder is 3-4-1 against the Bulls this season. The previous meeting between the two teams was tight to the end, as the Thunder took a 4-3 shootout victory Jan. 30 at Stockton Arena. The Thunder outshot the Bulls 46-26 in that game.
ABOUT MILITARY APPRECIATION WEEKEND
Proceeds from this weekend's event will benefit the Welcome Home Heroes Foundation, an organization designed to support United States veterans and their local families for housing and financial needs. The Thunder will wear special design military jerseys with a camouflage accent for both games, with the jerseys scheduled for a live auction to all fans in attendance after Saturday's game.
Before the games, veteran and active military members will participate in the pre-game ceremonial faceoff after a special United States flag unveiling across the ice of Stockton Arena for the National Anthem. Local members of the military who lost their lives during active service in Iraq and Afghanistan will also be honored with a special video tribute on the video board of Stockton Arena during the games. Several giveaways for fans this weekend, including posters, flags and caps, are part of the commemorative event.
2012-13 Head to Head Schedule: (3-4-1)
Fri. Nov. 9 Stockton 1 at San Francisco 4
Sat. Nov. 24 Stockton 3 at San Francisco 6
Thur. Dec. 13 Stockton 3 at San Francisco 4 (OT)
Mon. Dec. 17 Stockton 6 at San Francisco 4 *
Fri. Jan. 18 San Francisco 2 at Stockton 5
Sat. Jan. 19 Stockton 2 at San Francisco 4
Sun. Jan. 20 San Francisco 5 at Stockton 2
Wed. Jan 30 San Francisco 3 at Stockton 4 (SO)
Sat. Feb. 16 San Francisco 7:30 p.m.
Sun. Feb. 17 at San Francisco 2:15 p.m.
Wed. Mar. 13 San Francisco 7:00 p.m.
Fri. Mar. 22 at San Francisco 7:15 p.m.
Sat. Mar 23 at San Francisco 7:15 p.m.
*Game at HP Pavilion at San Jose
NOTE OF THE NIGHT
The Thunder is 12-3-3 when leading after one period this season.
LAST THREE GAMES:
STK 2 - ONT 1 (OT) (2/15/13): Defenseman Brandon Davidson, making his ECHL debut, scored two clutch goals in the third period and sudden death overtime to lift the Stockton Thunder (25-20-9, 59 points) to a thrilling 2-1 comeback victory in overtime over the Ontario Reign before 5,145 fans at Stockton Arena on Friday. Returning to the Thunder after his "Rookie of the Year" campaign last season, goaltender Olivier Roy (1-0-0) made 29 saves in victory with teammates clad in black, white and silver camouflage jerseys for "Military Appreciation Weekend." Ontario's Dustin Carlson (1-1-2) stopped 18 shots.
AK 3 - STK 1 (2/10/13): Alexandre Imbeault collected a natural hat trick and the Alaska Aces completed a three game weekend sweep, sending the Stockton Thunder (24-20-9, 57 points) to a 3-1 defeat before 3,379 fans at Sullivan Arena on Sunday. Mark Guggenberger made 21 saves for the win. Tyler Bunz took the loss with a career high 41 stops. Thunder defenseman Ryan Constant opened the scoring with a goal in the second period.
AK 3 - STK 2 (SO) (2/9/13): Gerald Coleman made 16 saves, adding four of five stops in the shootout, to help the Alaska Aces escape the Stockton Thunder (24-19-9, 57 points), 3-2 before 4,689 at Sullivan Arena on Saturday. Tyler Bunz made 30 stops, earning the game's second star including three saves in the first three rounds of the shootout. The Thunder battled back from a one goal deficit on Teigan Zahn's third period power play goal and got the game's first goal on another Maxime Boisclair marker.
- Garet Hunt is 2 games away from 300 as a member of the Thunder
- Maxime Boisclair is 3 points away from 100 in his ECHL career
The Thunder was boosted by recent additions to their lineup with goaltender Olivier Roy and defenseman Brandon Davidson assigned to the team from Oklahoma City on Tuesday. Roy was named Thunder "Rookie of the Year" last season when he broke the team record with four shutouts. Davidson, an Oilers sixth round selection in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, had a career high 13 goals in 69 games last season with Regina (WHL) and added 49 points (3rd in team scoring), earning a selection on the WHL Second All-Star Team (Eastern Conference).
HOME SWEET HOME
The Thunder has made Stockton Arena ideal for home ice advantage this season with a record of 14-6-3. They are in the midst of playing eight of the nine games at home and will start a season long seven game homestand on Jan. 20. Below is a look at key figures for the Thunder at home this season:
At home this season, the Thunder has:
- A record of 16-7-3
- Totaled ten games of scoring four goals or more
- Outshot the opposition thirteen times this season
- Posted 18 games of 30 shots on goal or more
- Collected at least one power play goal in fourteen of the last sixteen games
FEEL THE POWER
The Thunder has gone on a power trip, having scored a power play goal in 14 of the last 16 games while only going two games in the entire month of January without one. The Thunder has seen center Harrison Reed benefit most from the recent surge, scoring six power play goals (half of the Thunder total) during the stretch. The Thunder went 1-of-5 in last Saturday's game at Alaska.
TO THE MAX
Thunder forward Maxime Boisclair has picked up ten points in eleven games since joining the Thunder as a signed free agent. Boisclair has scored four goals in the last six games and has five goals in 2012-13. Boisclair was named an ECHL All-Star as a member of the Eastern Conference team in 2006-07.
NO LITTLE ACCOMPLISHMENT
Thunder defenseman Mike Little played in his 100th career ECHL game on Dec. 27 at Bakersfield and helped out offensively with an assist in a 4-2 Thunder win. Little was named to the ECHL All-Rookie Team last season and was the first selection in Thunder history. Little also played in his 100th career Thunder game Jan. 9 at Colorado.
Center Justin Maylan is tied for second in the ECHL in rookie scoring with 38 points this season in 44 games. He collected 12 points in 16 games during the month of December. Maylan has also posted nine multi point games this season.
PLAYING THE REICHARD
Thunder goaltender Cody Reichard became the 11th goaltender in Thunder history to earn the ECHL Goaltender of the Week award when he took the honor on Dec. 11. He followed up with two near misses on monthly awards as well - runner up honors for ECHL Rookie of the Month and ECHL Goaltender of the Month (December) with a 4-1-3 record, 2.19 goals against average and .935 save percentage from Dec. 1-31.
OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN
Garet Hunt was named the sixth captain in Thunder history on Oct. 12, taking the "C" for the first time in his career for full-time duty. Hunt served as an alternate captain for the Thunder last season and has helped guide the team to the playoffs for four straight seasons since his 2008-09 rookie campaign. Hunt is the Thunder all-time leader with 298 games played.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2013
- Queen City Struggles Continue for Trenton, Fall to Cyclones, 5-2 - Trenton Titans
- Grizzlies Raise over $20,000 in Pink in the Rink Game; Fall to Alaska - Utah Grizzlies
- Reign Give up Third Loss to Steelheads, 4-2 - Ontario Reign
- Aces' Offense Erupts in 6-2 Win over Grizzlies - Alaska Aces
- Stewart Shuts out Eagles as Bakersfield Sweeps Weekend Set - Colorado Eagles
- Idaho Picks up Gutty Win - Idaho Steelheads
- For the Second Straight Night, Kalamazoo Needs OT to Defeat Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays, Zapolski Stymie Orlando 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Extend Winning Streak to Five by Routing Trenton, 5-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Fall to Everblades 4-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Jackals Turned Back Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Zapolski Powers Stingrays Past Solar Bears 3-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Stingrays Sign Forward Jay Silvia - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Condors vs. Colorado - Get Your Picture with Batman at the Game - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Idaho Steelheads - Ontario Reign
- Bulls and Thunder Square off in Stockton - San Francisco Bulls
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. San Francisco Bulls - Stockton Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Trenton - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. South Carolina Stingrays - February 16 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Titans GameDay at Cincinnati, February 16 - Game 52 (Away 26) - Trenton Titans
- Domingue Reassigned to Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Ben Blood Reassigned to Binghamton - Elmira Jackals
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Solar Bears Faceoff Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - February 16 - ECHL
- Reign Fall 2-1 to Thunder in OT - Ontario Reign
- Additions spark Thunder in clutch, rally past Ontario before 5,145 fans - Stockton Thunder
- Wranglers Hook Steelheads in 4-2 Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Stewart Stymies Colorado, Condors Win 4-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Titans' Heartbreaking Loss Fueled by Goal from CIN GK Foster - Trenton Titans
- Grizzlies Beat Alaska 3-2 in Shootout - Utah Grizzlies
- Stewart Stops 52 Shots as Condors Get Season's First Win Against Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Aces Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss in Utah - Alaska Aces
- Idaho can't summon third-period rally, Wranglers win 9th straight game - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.