Game Day Preview: Pats Conclude U.S. Road Trip in Spokane Saturday Night
The Regina Pats (13-24-3-2) will play the fifth and final game of their U.S. Division road swing on Saturday night when they visit the Spokane Chiefs (22-15-2-1). Puck drop is at 9:00 p.m. Regina time at Veterans Memorial Arena. The Pats were last in action on Friday night when they dropped a 4-2 decision in Seattle to the Thunderbirds. The Chiefs hosted the Portland Winterhawks on Friday and fell 5-3. Tonight is the first and only meeting of the season between Regina and Spokane, the Pats lost the lone meeting last year at home, 4-0. The game can be heard with Bennett Dunlop Ford Pats Hockey starting at 8:35 p.m. on 620 CKRM .
Regular Season Comparison Regina Spokane
Record 13-24-3-2 22-15-2-1
Goals For/Against 124/169 (-45) 153/128 (+25)
Powerplay 18.0% (31/172) 19.4% (28/144)
Penalty Kill 78.6% (147/187) 77.0% (107/139)
Team Save Percentage 0.882 0.897
Leading Scorer Austin Pratt (14-24-38) Adam Beckman (16-24-40)
Leading Scorer (Defence) Zach Wytinck (5-29-34) Filip Kral (10-27-37)
Scoring by Period (1st-2nd-3rd-OT-SO) 37-43-40-1-3 43-60-48-2-0
- The Pats are 4-4-1-1 in their last 10 meetings with Spokane, the Chiefs have taken the last two contests.
- The Pats are 1-3-0-0 so far on their road trip and 5-6-0-1 since the Christmas Break.
- Kyle Walker leads the Pats with two assists in 10 career games against Spokane.
- Josh Paulhus scored in his WHL debut on Friday night in Seattle.
- Cole Dubinsky has three assists in his last four games.
- The Pats have scored five powerplay goals in the first four games of their U.S. road trip.
- Zack Smith has points in three straight games, scoring two goals and adding an assist.
What a Debut
Dealing with a rash of injuries, the Pats re-called 17-year-old forward Josh Paulhus from the Humboldt Broncos of the SJHL on Thursday and he made his WHL debut on Friday night in Seattle. The Saskatoon product scored his first WHL goal in the second period, tipping in a Jan Cikhart shot, which at the time gave the Pats a 2-1 lead. Paulhus was signed during training camp in August and is playing in his first season of junior in Humboldt. He has four goals and 10 points in his rookie season with the Broncos.
Pats forward Zack Smith extended his point streak to three games on Friday when he scored his eighth goal of the season in the second period in Seattle. The 18-year-old has two goals and an assist in his point streak and has scored three goals and an assist in his last five games. Smith is one off the rookie team lead in goals for the season, Drew Englot leads the way with nine goals. Smith and Englot are tied for the team lead in rookie points with 12. Zack will be taking on his older brother Ty in tonight's game in Spokane.
Pats Approaching Notable Career Highlights
Austin Pratt is 4 games away from 300 in his WHL career.
Carson Denomie is 24 games away from 200 in his WHL career.
Cole Dubinsky is 13 games away from 100 in his WHL career.
Ryker Evans is 13 games away from 100 in his WHL career.
Last Pats Game
The Regina Pats took a 2-1 lead to the third on Friday night in Seattle, but the Thunderbirds scored three times in the final frame to take a 4-2 victory. In the first, the game's first goal came at 13:14 when Lucas Ciona banged in a loose puck to give Seattle a 1-0 lead and that was the score through 20 minutes. In the second, Zack Smith scored his eighth on a great feed in front from Cole Dubinsky to tie the game at one. Just over a minute later, Josh Paulhus tipped in his first career goal in his first career game to make it 2-1 Regina and that was the score after two periods. In the final frame, Kelti Jeri-Leon scored twice in the first half of the period to give Seattle a 3-2 lead. Simon Kubicek got another with less than six minutes left to make it 4-2 and that was the final score. The Pats were outshot 30-25, the powerplay was oh for three, the penalty kill four for four and Donovan Buskey made 26 saves.
Last Pats Game Vs Spokane
October 17, 2018 - Adam Beckman scored twice, Jack Finley and Riley Woods had two point nights as the Chiefs beat the Pats 4-0 in Regina. Spokane scored once in the first, once in the second and twice in the third en route to victory. Bailey Brkin stopped all 35 shots he faced for the shutout, Max Paddock stopped 39 of 43 for Regina.
Last 10 Games Vs Opponent
October 17, 2018 - Spokane 4 @ Regina 0
November 25, 2017 - Regina 3 @ Spokane 7
October 21, 2016 - Spokane 2 @ Regina 4
January 9, 2016 - Regina 7 @ Spokane 2
February 7, 2015 - Spokane 2 @ Regina 4
November 16, 2013 - Regina 3 @ Spokane 2 SO
December 1, 2012 - Spokane 6 @ Regina 5 OT
November 19, 2011 - Regina 5 @ Spokane 6 SO
October 30, 2010 - Spokane 11 @ Regina 1
November 28, 2009 - Regina 0 @ Spokane 4
Pats Leaders Vs Spokane (Career)
Kyle Walker - 10 GP, 0G, 2A, 2 PTS.
Austin Pratt - 3 GP, 1G, 0A, 1 PT.
Carson Denomie - 6 GP, 0G, 0A, 0 PTS.
Robbie Holmes - 4 GP, 0G, 0A, 0 PTS.
Zach Wytinck - 2 GP, 0G, 0A, 0 PTS.
Riley Krane - 1 GP 0G, 0A, 0 PTS.
Individual Streaks (Active)
Zack Smith - 3 games (2G, 1A).
Jan Cikhart - 2 games (1G, 1A).
Zach Wytinck - 2 games (2A).
Englot - 2 games (3G).
Individual Streaks (Recent)
Austin Pratt - 4 games (December 15 - December 30, 1G, 5A).
Pats Vs Lethbridge - Friday January 24, 7 p.m. - Brandt Centre (CKRM)
Pats Vs Saskatoon - Sunday January 26, 4 p.m. - Brandt Centre (CKRM)
Pats Vs Victoria - Friday January 31, 7 p.m. - Brandt Centre (CKRM)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2020
- Raiders Drop Shootout to Rebels in Red Deer - Prince Albert Raiders
- ICE Special Teams Help Knock off Hitmen 5-2 - Winnipeg Ice
- Weekend Ends with Loss to Wheat Kings - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Quick Start Leads ICE over Hitmen, 5-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Broncos See Strong Stretches in Loss to Blades - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Day Hub: January 18 - Portland Winterhawks
- ICE and Hitmen Clash at the ICE Cave - Winnipeg Ice
- Gameday Hub: January 18, 2020 - Saskatoon Blades
- Game 43 vs Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, January 18 at Winnipeg - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Preview: Pats Conclude U.S. Road Trip in Spokane Saturday Night - Regina Pats
- Goncalves Helps Tips Top Kelowna - Everett Silvertips
- Oil Kings Earn Single Point in Overtime Loss to Raiders - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Thomas Milic Backstops T-Birds to Win in WHL Debut - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Florchuk's Hat-Trick Lifts Giants over the Royals 4-1 - Vancouver Giants
- MacInnes' 2nd Career Shutout, Robins' Two Goals Sink Broncos - Saskatoon Blades
- Royals Halted by Giants - Victoria Royals
- Americans Fall in High-Scoring Battle against Blazers - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets fall to Tips - Kelowna Rockets
- Rebels Fall to 'Canes in Overtime - Red Deer Rebels
- Seattle Rally Tops Pats - Regina Pats
- Wheat Kings Beat Hitmen 3-1 for 8th-Straight Win - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Chiefs Can't Solve Portland, Lose 5-3 - Spokane Chiefs
- Gustafson Earns First Head Coaching Win in Spokane - Portland Winterhawks
- Cougars End Trip with Win at Moose Jaw - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Game Day Preview: Pats Start Three in Three Weekend at Home to Saskatoon Friday
- Pats to Host Inaugural Autism Awareness Night Friday
- Pats Dropped by Raiders, 5-2
- Game Day Preview: Pats Hit the Road Tuesday to Take on Raiders in Prince Albert
- Pats Fall to Brandon in 2-1 Squeaker