Seattle Rally Tops Pats
Regina, Saskatchewan - The Regina Pats took a 2-1 lead to the third on Friday night in Seattle, but the Thunderbirds scored three times in the final frame to take a 4-2 victory.
In the first, the game's first goal came at 13:14 when Lucas Ciona banged in a loose puck to give Seattle a 1-0 lead and that was the score through 20 minutes. In the second, Zack Smith scored his eighth on a great feed in front from Cole Dubinsky to tie the game at one. Just over a minute later, Josh Paulhus tipped in his first career goal in his first career game to make it 2-1 Regina and that was the score after two periods. In the final frame, Kelti Jeri-Leon scored twice in the first half of the period to give Seattle a 3-2 lead. Simon Kubicek got another with less than six minutes left to make it 4-2 and that was the final score.
The Pats were outshot 30-25, the powerplay was oh for three, the penalty kill four for four and Donovan Buskey made 26 saves.
The Pats (13-24-3-2) will wrap up their road trip on Saturday night when they visit the Spokane Chiefs at 9 p.m. Regina time on 620 CKRM.
Seattle - Lucan Ciona (2) from Jared Davidson and Luke Bateman - 13:14.
Regina - Zack Smith (8) from Cole Dubinsky - 8:13.
Regina - Josh Paulhus (1) from Jan Cikhart and Zach Wytinck - 9:31.
Seattle - Kelti Jeri-Leon (18) from Henrik Rybinski and Luke Bateman - 2:41.
Seattle - Kelti Jeri-Leon (19) from Conner Roulette and Cade McNelly - 9:43.
Seattle - Simon Kubicec (5) from Max Paterson and Lucas Ciona - 13:15.
Shots on Goal
Regina 7-12-6-(25) Seattle 10-11-9-(30)
Regina 0/3 Seattle 0/4
- Josh Paulhus scored his first WHL goal in his first game in the league.
- Cole Dubinsky has three assists in his last four games.
- The Pats are now 1-3-0-0 on their U.S. Division road trip.
The Pats will wrap up their road trip on Saturday night when they visit the Spokane Chiefs at 9 p.m. Regina time on 620 CKRM. Next home game is Friday, January 24 against the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Tickets are available at reginapats.com, the Brandt Centre Box Office or at any Regina Safeway location.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2020
- Raiders Drop Shootout to Rebels in Red Deer - Prince Albert Raiders
- ICE Special Teams Help Knock off Hitmen 5-2 - Winnipeg Ice
- Weekend Ends with Loss to Wheat Kings - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Quick Start Leads ICE over Hitmen, 5-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Broncos See Strong Stretches in Loss to Blades - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Day Hub: January 18 - Portland Winterhawks
- ICE and Hitmen Clash at the ICE Cave - Winnipeg Ice
- Gameday Hub: January 18, 2020 - Saskatoon Blades
- Game 43 vs Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, January 18 at Winnipeg - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Preview: Pats Conclude U.S. Road Trip in Spokane Saturday Night - Regina Pats
- Goncalves Helps Tips Top Kelowna - Everett Silvertips
- Oil Kings Earn Single Point in Overtime Loss to Raiders - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Thomas Milic Backstops T-Birds to Win in WHL Debut - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Florchuk's Hat-Trick Lifts Giants over the Royals 4-1 - Vancouver Giants
- MacInnes' 2nd Career Shutout, Robins' Two Goals Sink Broncos - Saskatoon Blades
- Royals Halted by Giants - Victoria Royals
- Americans Fall in High-Scoring Battle against Blazers - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets fall to Tips - Kelowna Rockets
- Rebels Fall to 'Canes in Overtime - Red Deer Rebels
- Seattle Rally Tops Pats - Regina Pats
- Wheat Kings Beat Hitmen 3-1 for 8th-Straight Win - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Chiefs Can't Solve Portland, Lose 5-3 - Spokane Chiefs
- Gustafson Earns First Head Coaching Win in Spokane - Portland Winterhawks
- Cougars End Trip with Win at Moose Jaw - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Game Day Preview: Pats Start Three in Three Weekend at Home to Saskatoon Friday
- Pats to Host Inaugural Autism Awareness Night Friday
- Pats Dropped by Raiders, 5-2
- Game Day Preview: Pats Hit the Road Tuesday to Take on Raiders in Prince Albert
- Pats Fall to Brandon in 2-1 Squeaker