Four LA Galaxy Players Called up for International Duty
March 17, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - LA Galaxy News Release
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy today announced that forward Dejan Joveljić (Serbia) and defenders Kelvin Leerdam (Suriname), Eriq Zavaleta (El Salvador) and Marcus Ferkranus (U-20 USMYNT) were called up by their respective national teams during the international window.
Joveljić, 23, was called in by the Serbian National Team for 2024 UEFA European Championship Qualifiers against Lithuania at Red Star Stadium on Friday, March 24 (12:45 p.m. PT) and Montenegro at Podgorica City Stadium on Monday, March 27 (11:45 a.m. PT). The Bijeljina, Bosnia and Herzegovina, native has tallied 18 goals and five assists in 54 matches played (19 starts) across all competitions in three seasons with the Galaxy (2021-Present). In two regular-season appearances (2 starts) for the Galaxy during the 2023 campaign, Joveljić has tallied one goal. Last season, Joveljić tallied 15 goals and three assists in 38 games played (10 starts) across all competitions. Joveljić has made three appearances (3 starts) for Serbia since starting and playing 90 minutes in his debut in a 1-1 draw against Jamaica on June 7, 2021. Joveljić most recently started and played 90 minutes for Serbia in a 2-1 win over the U.S. Men's National Team at BMO Stadium on Jan. 25, 2023.
Leerdam, 32, was named to the Suriname National Team that will host Mexico at Flora Stadium in Concacaf Nations League play on Thursday, March 23 (5:00 p.m. PT). Leerdam has tallied one assist in 12 career appearances (10 starts) for Suriname. In two appearances (2 starts) for the Galaxy during the 2022 campaign. In 15 career games played (9 starts) across all competitions for the Galaxy, Leerdam has recorded two assists.
Zavaleta, 30, was named to the El Salvador National Team roster that will square off in a friendly against Honduras at BMO Stadium on Wednesday, March 22 (8:00 p.m. PT), before facing off against the U.S. Men's National Team in Concacaf Nations League play at Exploria Stadium on Monday, March 27 (4:30 p.m. PT; Paramount+). The Westfield, Ind., native has tallied two goals in 19 career appearances (18 starts) for El Salvador. Zavaleta has made one appearance for the Galaxy during the 2023 campaign.
Ferkranus, 19, was called into the U.S. U-20 Men's Youth National Team 19-player roster for the final training camp in Marbella, Spain before this summer's FIFA U-20 World Cup in Indonesia. The U-20 USMYNT will square off against France (U-20) on Wednesday, March 22 (8:00 a.m. PT), before facing England (U-20) on Saturday, March 24 (8:00 a.m. PT) and Serbia (U-21) on Tuesday, March 28 (6:00 a.m. PT). The Santa Clarita, Calif., native made seven appearance (4 starts) for Los Dos, before playing nine games (4 starts) on loan with Phoenix Rising FC in the USL Championship during the 2022 campaign. The Santa Clarita, Calif., native has logged one assist in 35 career appearances (20 starts) for LA Galaxy II (2020-Present). Ferkranus, an LA Galaxy Academy product, was part of the U.S. U-20 Men's Youth National Team that qualified for the 2023 FIFA U-20 World Cup after winning the Concacaf U-20 Championship in Honduras last year.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 17, 2023
- THREE POINTS: Houston Dynamo FC Host Austin FC in Home Opener on Saturday at Shell Energy Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Match Preview: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - March 18, 2023 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Play Host to Vancouver Whitecaps FC in 2023 Home Opener at Dignity Health Sports Park Saturday, March 18 - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Welcome Minnesota United FC to Altitude for Matchday 4 - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Daniel Undergoes Knee Surgery - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Travels to Seattle to Take on the Sounders on Saturday, March 18 at 1 PM - Los Angeles FC
- Academy Update: Inter Miami CF Academy Announces Updates to Technical Staff - Inter Miami CF
- Injury Report: a Clean Bill of Health vs. D.C. UnitedÃÂ - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Signs Veteran Midfielder Ján Greguš - Nashville SC
- CF Montréal to Host Philadelphia Saturday in 2023 Home Opener at Olympic Stadium - Club de Foot Montreal
- Atlanta United Loans Jackson Conway to Phoenix Rising FC - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with Bosch - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Academy Midfielder Paulo Rudisill Named to U.S. U-19 Men's Youth National Team Roster for Training Camp in Argentina - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United FC at Colorado Rapids Preview - Minnesota United FC
- U19s Roll in First Half of Spring Season - FC Cincinnati
- Whitecaps FC to Host LAFC on Wednesday, April 5 at BC Place in First Leg of 2023 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Darren Yapi, Diego Rubio Called up to National Teams for Upcoming International Window - Colorado Rapids
- Revolution Host Nashville SC on Saturday Night - New England Revolution
- St. Louis CITY SC Homegrown Miguel Perez Called up to U.S. U-19 MNT - St. Louis City SC
- Schedule Announced for 2023 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Sergio Oregel Jr. Called to U.S. U-19 Men's Youth National Team for March Training Camp - Chicago Fire FC
- The Assist: Orlando City vs. Charlotte FC - March 18, 2023 - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Faces FC Dallas on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Partner with Positive Coaching Alliance to Launch Quakes Community Coaching Course - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake's Gavin Beavers and Diego Luna Named to U.S. Youth National Teams - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Portland Timbers - Atlanta United FC
- Owen Wolff Called up to U.S. U-20 Men's Youth National Team - Austin FC
- Antonio Carrera and Nolan Norris Called into National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Four LA Galaxy Players Called up for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Faces New England Revolution on the Road - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Take Unbeaten Record to Soldier Field for Matchup with Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Face off against Real Salt Lake at America First Field Tonight, Wednesday, May 31
- LA Galaxy Parts Ways with President Chris Klein
- LA Galaxy Fall 1-0 to Charlotte FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday Night
- LA Galaxy Play Host to Charlotte FC at Dignity Health Sports Park Tonight, Saturday, May 27
- LA Galaxy Travel to Face Real Salt Lake in Quarterfinal Round of 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup at America First Field on Wednesday, June 7