Whitecaps FC to Host LAFC on Wednesday, April 5 at BC Place in First Leg of 2023 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC will host Los Angeles FC in the first leg of the 2023 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League quarterfinals on Wednesday, April 5 at BC Place. Kickoff will be at 7 p.m. PT.
Whitecaps FC season ticket members will be sent information on how to opt-in for the Champions League and keep their seats at a discounted member rate.
The second leg will be played on Tuesday, April 11 at BMO Stadium in Los Angeles, with kickoff at 7:15 p.m. PT.
The winner will move on to face either 2022 MLS Cup runners-up Philadelphia Union or LIGA MX side Atlas FC in the semifinals.
All-time, the 'Caps have tallied a 4W-4L-3D record against LAFC in MLS regular season action. The Blue & White have a 4W-1L-0D record at home, which includes a 2020 win in Portland. At BC Place the 'Caps are 3W-1L-0D, with the lone defeat coming in the first ever meeting in 2018.
The most recent match between the two sides came at BC Place last July, with the 'Caps capturing a 1-0 victory thanks to Andrés Cubas' first MLS goal.
Whitecaps FC defender Tristan Blackmon spent the first four years of his professional career with LAFC, making 79 appearances across all competitions. That included starting the 2020 Concacaf Champions League final for the club against UANL Tigres.
LAFC goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau played three seasons with the 'Caps, accumulating 61starts across all competitions. LAFC assistant coach Marc Dos Santos was also with Whitecaps FC, leading the team as head coach during the same period from 2019 to 2021.
HOW WE GOT HERE
Whitecaps FC qualified for the Champions League after defeating Toronto FC last July in front of a record Canadian Championship crowd in Vancouver, claiming a 5-3 penalty shootout victory to win their second-ever Voyageurs Cup.
The 'Caps advanced to the quarterfinals of the Champions League byâ¯beating Real España by a combined aggregate score of 7-3 through two legs, winning the first match 5-0 at BC Place and falling 3-2 at the Estadio Olímpico Metropolitano in San Pedro Sula, Honduras on Wednesday.
LAFC earned their Concacaf Champions League qualification as 2022 MLS Supporters Shield and MLS Cup champions.
In the Round of 16, the Black & Gold fended off Costa Rican side L.D. Alajuelense by a combined aggregate score of 4-2, winning the first leg in Costa Rica 3-0 and falling 2-1 at BMO Stadium on Wednesday night.
CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
The Concacaf Champions League is a 16-team, knockout competition to crown the best club in North America, Central America, and the Caribbean, similar to the UEFA Champions League in Europe or the Copa Libertadores in South America.
The winner of the tournament qualifies for the FIFA Club World Cup, where they'll face the top teams from Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceania, and South America. Earlier this week, FIFA announced an expanded 32-team FIFA Club World Cup in 2025, with the Concacaf Champions League winners from 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024 all qualifying.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 17, 2023
- THREE POINTS: Houston Dynamo FC Host Austin FC in Home Opener on Saturday at Shell Energy Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Match Preview: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - March 18, 2023 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Play Host to Vancouver Whitecaps FC in 2023 Home Opener at Dignity Health Sports Park Saturday, March 18 - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Welcome Minnesota United FC to Altitude for Matchday 4 - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Daniel Undergoes Knee Surgery - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Travels to Seattle to Take on the Sounders on Saturday, March 18 at 1 PM - Los Angeles FC
- Academy Update: Inter Miami CF Academy Announces Updates to Technical Staff - Inter Miami CF
- Injury Report: a Clean Bill of Health vs. D.C. UnitedÃÂ - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Signs Veteran Midfielder Ján Greguš - Nashville SC
- CF Montréal to Host Philadelphia Saturday in 2023 Home Opener at Olympic Stadium - Club de Foot Montreal
- Atlanta United Loans Jackson Conway to Phoenix Rising FC - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with Bosch - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Academy Midfielder Paulo Rudisill Named to U.S. U-19 Men's Youth National Team Roster for Training Camp in Argentina - LA Galaxy
- Minnesota United FC at Colorado Rapids Preview - Minnesota United FC
- U19s Roll in First Half of Spring Season - FC Cincinnati
- Whitecaps FC to Host LAFC on Wednesday, April 5 at BC Place in First Leg of 2023 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Darren Yapi, Diego Rubio Called up to National Teams for Upcoming International Window - Colorado Rapids
- Revolution Host Nashville SC on Saturday Night - New England Revolution
- St. Louis CITY SC Homegrown Miguel Perez Called up to U.S. U-19 MNT - St. Louis City SC
- Schedule Announced for 2023 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Sergio Oregel Jr. Called to U.S. U-19 Men's Youth National Team for March Training Camp - Chicago Fire FC
- The Assist: Orlando City vs. Charlotte FC - March 18, 2023 - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Faces FC Dallas on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Partner with Positive Coaching Alliance to Launch Quakes Community Coaching Course - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake's Gavin Beavers and Diego Luna Named to U.S. Youth National Teams - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Portland Timbers - Atlanta United FC
- Owen Wolff Called up to U.S. U-20 Men's Youth National Team - Austin FC
- Antonio Carrera and Nolan Norris Called into National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Four LA Galaxy Players Called up for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Faces New England Revolution on the Road - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Take Unbeaten Record to Soldier Field for Matchup with Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Unveil 50th Anniversary Kit
- 'caps Come Out Strong, But Tigres End On Top
- Damir Kreilach Scores on Debut as 'Caps Take Tie to Mexico
- Whitecaps FC Sign WFC2 Midfielders Jeevan Badwal and Jay Herdman to MLS Short-Term Agreements
- Whitecaps FC Sign Canadian Defender Belal Halbouni