Finalists Announced for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest Presented by Wells Fargo
CHESTER, Pa. - Major League Soccer has announced the finalists for the 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest presented by Wells Fargo, which recognizes individuals using soccer to make a difference in their community. The Grand Prize winner, voted on by fans, will be announced on-field during halftime of the 2019 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target at Exploria Stadium in Orlando on July 31, and will receive a $25,000 donation for their selected charity.
Throughout June, MLS fans had the opportunity to nominate individuals who are building better communities through soccer. Twenty-four finalists have been chosen, one representing each MLS club. Finalists were selected for making a positive impact in one of the following areas:
Social issues focusing on inclusion, diversity and equality
Health issues affecting men, women or children
Community service for a local, national or international charitable organization
Sustainability efforts to create a cleaner, healthier environment Philadelphia Union's local representative on the fan voting ballot is Omri Gal, who founded an after-school program for 5th and 6th graders at Stetser Elementary School in Chester called Design FC. Throughout the course of the school year, Omri and Union midfielder Warren Creavalle worked with students to help them design their own unique soccer jerseys in which they expressed what means most to them, their families, their city and what they want to change in the world.
Each Community MVP finalist will receive two tickets to a 2019 MLS regular season match in their local market, a trip to MLS All-Star week in Orlando and a $1,000 donation for their selected charity.
Fans are encouraged to learn more about the finalists and vote for the Grand Prize winner by visiting MLSsoccer.com/CommunityMVP and using the vote and Tweet buttons to cast their vote.
The MLS All-Star game presented by Target, will be televised domestically on FS1 and UniMás in the U.S., on TSN and TVA Sports in Canada, and in more than 170 countries around the world. Coverage begins on Univision starting at 7 p.m. ET and FOX beginning at 7:30 p.m. ET. Tickets for the 2019 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target are available for purchase at Ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 18, 2019
- D.C. United Outdistance FC Cincinnati 4-1 - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Beat FC Cincinnati 4-1 on the Road - D.C. United
- Know Your Opponent | Portland Timbers - Orlando City SC
- Storylines | City vs. Portland Timbers - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union to Host Liga MX Club Pumas UNAM in International Friendly at Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Foundation and Herbalife Nutrition Expand Garden School Foundation to Second Carson Elementary School - LA Galaxy
- Kal Dosanjh Named Whitecaps FC Representative for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Season Ticket Member Chip Dutchik Named as a Finalist for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest - FC Dallas
- Sporting Signs Cameron Duke as Homegrown Player - Sporting Kansas City
- Los Angeles Football Club Partners with Satisfi Labs to Launch In-Stadium Order-Ahead on Apple Business Chat - Los Angeles FC
- Seven Academy Players with Canada U15 - Montreal Impact
- MLS, LIGA MX to Expand Leagues Cup to 16 Teams in 2020 - MLS
- Timbers, Thorns FC, T2 Team up with Local Partners to Present Eighth-Annual Stand Together Week July 28-August 3 - Portland Timbers
- Finalists Announced for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest Presented by Wells Fargo - D.C. United
- Basketball Superstar James Harden Joins Houston Dynamo & Dash Ownership Group - Houston Dynamo
- The Ferris Wheel at Pacific Park to Light up with LA Galaxy Colors Ahead of Match Friday - LA Galaxy
- LAFC and Galaxy Face off on Friday Night at Dignity Health Sports Park - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Targeted Allocation Money in Trade with Columbus Crew SC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires $110,000 in Allocation Money Via Trade with the San Jose Earthquakes - Columbus Crew SC
- Finalists Announced for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest Presented by Wells Fargo - Philadelphia Union
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
- Goalkeeper Jason Beaulieu Loaned to Ottawa Fury FC - Montreal Impact
- Mexico's Hector Herrera and Portugal's Joao Felix Join Koke to Represent Atletico de Madrid at the MLS All-Star Skills Challenge - MLS
- Sounders FC Falls 3-1 to Borussia Dortmund in International Friendly at CenturyLink Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Falls to Sevilla FC 3-1 - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC (3) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Battles Columbus Crew SC to 2-2 Draw - Chicago Fire
- Loons Fall to Aston Villa in International Friendly - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Alejandro Bedoya nets winner in team's first MLS Is Back match
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Announce FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast
- Philadelphia Union Kick Off July 9 in MLS is Back Tournament
- Kevin Durant Joins the Philadelphia Union as Investor and Community Partner
- Philadelphia Union Drawn into Group a of MLS Is Back Tournament