Sounders FC Falls 3-1 to Borussia Dortmund in International Friendly at CenturyLink Field
SEATTLE, WASH. - Playing before an energized crowd of 37,722 on Wednesday night under the lights at CenturyLink Field, Sounders FC hosted German Bundesliga power Borussia Dortmund in an international friendly. Jonathan Campbell recorded his first goal in Rave Green for the home side, but his solidary goal was not enough in a 3-1 loss to one of UEFA's top club football sides. Goals from Marius Wolf, Paco Alcácer and Jadon Sancho saw the visitors to victory in Dortmund's first official preseason action of the 2019-2020 season. Tonight's friendly was the second hosted by Seattle this campaign, following a 2-0 loss to Club Nacional on February 20.
After over 35 minutes of scoreless play, Dortmund struck first in the 37th minute with Wolf converting a shot from distance after a spell of possession in the attacking third. Mario Götze was credited with the assist. Paco Alcácer gave the visitors a 2-0 lead in the 50th minute, intercepting a pass from Bryan Meredith and beating the Seattle goalkeeper with a chip shot from 20 yards out.
Sounders FC pulled one back courtesy of Campbell in the 54th minute. Joevin Jones sent a looping corner kick into the crowd that found the head of the central defender at the far post, and the first-year Sounder thumped a header into the back of the net.
Dortmund sealed the victory in the 77th minute on a goal from rising star Sancho. The English attacker sliced through the Seattle defense with some precise dribbling before putting a well-placed low shot past Meredith and inside the near post.
Sounders FC returns to MLS action on Sunday, July 21 with a home clash against Cascadia rival Portland Timbers. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. PT at CenturyLink Field, with a national broadcast on FS1 and a regional stream on YouTube TV, as well as radio coverage via Sports Radio 950 KJR AM and El Rey 1360 AM.
With tonight's result, Sounders FC is now 3-7-4 all-time in international friendly play.
Tonight's match was Seattle's second all-time contest against Bundesliga competition. Sounders FC played to a 1-1 draw with Eintracht Frankfurt on July 8, 2017 at CenturyLink Field.
Jonathan Campbell's goal was his first with the Rave Green since being acquired from the Chicago Fire on December 28, 2018.
Joevin Jones recorded his first assist since resigning with Sounders FC on May 7, 2019. He recorded 14 assists in 63 regular season games with Seattle from 2016-2017.
Sounders FC is riding a 13-match (11-0-2) MLS home unbeaten streak into Sunday's match with rival Portland at CenturyLink Field. The current streak is tied for second place in club history and just one result shy of the franchise record of 14 (10-0-4) set in 2013.
Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3
Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Venue: CenturyLink Field
Referee: Allen Chapman
Assistants: Michael Dampener, Jeff Hosking
Fourth Official: Chipalo Street
Weather: 65 degrees and cloudy
BVB - Marius Wolf (Mario Go?tze, Tobias Raschl) 37'
BVB - Paco Alca?cer 50'
SEA - Jonathan Campbell (Joevin Jones) 54'
BVB - Jadon Sancho 77'
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC - Bryan Meredith; Kelvin Leerdam (Saad Abdul-Salaam HT), Kim Kee-hee (Jonathan Campbell HT), Xavier Arreaga, Nouhou; Jordy Delem, Danny Leyva; Harry Shipp (Alex Roldan HT), Cristian Roldan (Justin Dhillon HT), Joevin Jones (Handwalla Bwana 68'); Raúl Ruidíaz (Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez HT)
Substitutes not used: Trey Muse, Román Torres, Sam Rogers, Josh Atencio, Shandon Hopeau, Danny Robles
Total shots: 11 (Ocampo-Chavez, 3)
Shots on goal: 4 (Ocampo-Chavez, 2)
Fouls: 4 (4 players, 1)
Offside: 1 (Ruidíaz, 1)
Corner-kicks: 3 (Jones, 3)
Saves: 2 (Meredith, 2)
Borussia Dortmund - Roman Bu?rki; Leonardo Balerdi, Mateu Morey, Lukasz Piszczek (Raphae?l Guerreiro HT), O?mer Toprak; Mario Go?tze, Marius Wolf, Julian Weigl, Tobias Raschl, Immanuel Pherai (Gio Reyna 34'); Paco Alca?cer
Substitutions at 63' - IN: Axel Witsel, Jadon Sancho, Dan-Axel Zagadou, Thorgan Hazard, Nico Schulz, Julian Brandt, Mats Hummels, Marco Reus
OUT: Mario Go?tze, Julian Weigl, O?mer Toprak, Tobias Raschl, Mateu Morey, Marius Wolf, Leonardo Balerdi, Paco Alca?cer
Substitutes not used: Marwin Hitz, Eric Oelschla?gel, Thomas Delaney, Maximilian Philipp, Jacob Bruun Larsen
Total shots: 9 (Alca?cer, 3)
Shots on goal: 5 (Alca?cer, 3)
Fouls: 5 (5 players, 1)
Offside: 4 (4 players, 1)
Corner-kicks: 4 (Sancho, 3)
Saves: 3 (Bu?rki, 3)
Images from this story
Jonathan Campbell scored the lone goal for Seattle Sounders FC vs. Borussia Dortmund
(Charis Wilson / Sounders FC)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 18, 2019
- D.C. United Outdistance FC Cincinnati 4-1 - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Beat FC Cincinnati 4-1 on the Road - D.C. United
- Know Your Opponent | Portland Timbers - Orlando City SC
- Storylines | City vs. Portland Timbers - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union to Host Liga MX Club Pumas UNAM in International Friendly at Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Foundation and Herbalife Nutrition Expand Garden School Foundation to Second Carson Elementary School - LA Galaxy
- Kal Dosanjh Named Whitecaps FC Representative for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Season Ticket Member Chip Dutchik Named as a Finalist for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest - FC Dallas
- Sporting Signs Cameron Duke as Homegrown Player - Sporting Kansas City
- Los Angeles Football Club Partners with Satisfi Labs to Launch In-Stadium Order-Ahead on Apple Business Chat - Los Angeles FC
- Seven Academy Players with Canada U15 - Montreal Impact
- MLS, LIGA MX to Expand Leagues Cup to 16 Teams in 2020 - MLS
- Timbers, Thorns FC, T2 Team up with Local Partners to Present Eighth-Annual Stand Together Week July 28-August 3 - Portland Timbers
- Finalists Announced for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest Presented by Wells Fargo - D.C. United
- Basketball Superstar James Harden Joins Houston Dynamo & Dash Ownership Group - Houston Dynamo
- The Ferris Wheel at Pacific Park to Light up with LA Galaxy Colors Ahead of Match Friday - LA Galaxy
- LAFC and Galaxy Face off on Friday Night at Dignity Health Sports Park - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Targeted Allocation Money in Trade with Columbus Crew SC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires $110,000 in Allocation Money Via Trade with the San Jose Earthquakes - Columbus Crew SC
- Finalists Announced for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest Presented by Wells Fargo - Philadelphia Union
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
- Goalkeeper Jason Beaulieu Loaned to Ottawa Fury FC - Montreal Impact
- Mexico's Hector Herrera and Portugal's Joao Felix Join Koke to Represent Atletico de Madrid at the MLS All-Star Skills Challenge - MLS
- Sounders FC Falls 3-1 to Borussia Dortmund in International Friendly at CenturyLink Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Falls to Sevilla FC 3-1 - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC (3) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Battles Columbus Crew SC to 2-2 Draw - Chicago Fire
- Loons Fall to Aston Villa in International Friendly - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Drops 3-0 Road Result at Real Salt Lake
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Real Salt Lake - August 14, 2019
- Sounders FC Opens New Chapter in Club History, as 11 Families with Deep Seattle Roots Join Rave Green Ownership Group
- Sounders FC Transfers Midfielder Henry Wingo to Norwegian Side Molde FK
- Sounders FC and New England Play to Back-And-Forth 3-3 Draw at CenturyLink Field