Storylines | City vs. Portland Timbers
On Saturday against Columbus, Benji Michel scored his first career MLS goal, a finish that served as the game-winner for the Lions in their 1-0 victory over the Crew. With the goal, Michel became the first Homegrown player to score a goal in league play for the First Team in Club history. Earlier this season, Michel became the first Homegrown talent to score a goal for the First Team across all competitions when he scored his first professional goal against the New England Revolution in the U.S. Open Cup Round of 16. With Michel's finish on Saturday, an Orlando product has now found the back of the net in two consecutive league matches, with Orlando native Santiago Patiño having scored in Philadelphia in the Lions' previous MLS match. Patiño was selected third overall by the Lions in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft out of Florida International University.
Keep It Clean
The Lions recorded their fifth shutout of the season against Columbus on Saturday, with Brian Rowe earning the clean sheet. Rowe has been in goal for each of the Lions' shutouts this season, now holding his highest clean sheet total since 2016 while a member of the LA Galaxy. With their five shutouts this season, the City defense is two shy of tying the Club record for clean sheets in a year, set in both 2015 and 2017.
Facing the Opposition
The Lions hold a 3-1-0 record against Portland throughout Club history, with a +3 goal differential in their four matches played. In 2018, City overcame a two-goal deficit to defeat the Timbers 3-2 at then-named Orlando City Stadium, scoring three goals in the final ten minutes of the match in the 80th, 82nd and 87th minutes respectively to take the victory. Chris Mueller scored his first professional goal in that match with his finish in the 80th minute.
Chasing the Cup
The Lions and Timbers make up half of the four remaining teams in pursuit of the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup trophy, both to appear in the Semifinal round next month. City will host Atlanta United FC at Exploria Stadium on August 6, while Portland will travel to face Minnesota United at Allianz Field the following day. Should the Timbers beat the Loons and the Lions take down Atlanta, City would host Portland in the U.S. Open Cup Final on either August 27 or 28.
On the Road Again
The Lions have earned results in their last two road contests, battling to a 2-2 draw in Philadelphia on July 6 and defeating the Columbus Crew at MAPFRE Stadium 2-0 on June 29. Over their last four road matches in league play, the Lions hold 2-1-1 record, with two shutouts in that span, boasting a +4 goal differential.
Contributing to the Attack
Two defenders earned an assist on Benji Michel's game-winner against Columbus this past Saturday in Ruan and Lamine Sané. The assist served as Ruan's third such mark of 2019, now tied with João Moutinho for the most assists by a defender for the Lions this season. Sané earned the secondary assist for his ball in behind to Ruan, his first since joining the Lions in 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 18, 2019
- D.C. United Outdistance FC Cincinnati 4-1 - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Beat FC Cincinnati 4-1 on the Road - D.C. United
- Know Your Opponent | Portland Timbers - Orlando City SC
- Storylines | City vs. Portland Timbers - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union to Host Liga MX Club Pumas UNAM in International Friendly at Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Foundation and Herbalife Nutrition Expand Garden School Foundation to Second Carson Elementary School - LA Galaxy
- Kal Dosanjh Named Whitecaps FC Representative for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Season Ticket Member Chip Dutchik Named as a Finalist for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest - FC Dallas
- Sporting Signs Cameron Duke as Homegrown Player - Sporting Kansas City
- Los Angeles Football Club Partners with Satisfi Labs to Launch In-Stadium Order-Ahead on Apple Business Chat - Los Angeles FC
- Seven Academy Players with Canada U15 - Montreal Impact
- MLS, LIGA MX to Expand Leagues Cup to 16 Teams in 2020 - MLS
- Timbers, Thorns FC, T2 Team up with Local Partners to Present Eighth-Annual Stand Together Week July 28-August 3 - Portland Timbers
- Finalists Announced for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest Presented by Wells Fargo - D.C. United
- Basketball Superstar James Harden Joins Houston Dynamo & Dash Ownership Group - Houston Dynamo
- The Ferris Wheel at Pacific Park to Light up with LA Galaxy Colors Ahead of Match Friday - LA Galaxy
- LAFC and Galaxy Face off on Friday Night at Dignity Health Sports Park - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Targeted Allocation Money in Trade with Columbus Crew SC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires $110,000 in Allocation Money Via Trade with the San Jose Earthquakes - Columbus Crew SC
- Finalists Announced for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP Contest Presented by Wells Fargo - Philadelphia Union
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
- Goalkeeper Jason Beaulieu Loaned to Ottawa Fury FC - Montreal Impact
- Mexico's Hector Herrera and Portugal's Joao Felix Join Koke to Represent Atletico de Madrid at the MLS All-Star Skills Challenge - MLS
- Sounders FC Falls 3-1 to Borussia Dortmund in International Friendly at CenturyLink Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Falls to Sevilla FC 3-1 - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC (3) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Battles Columbus Crew SC to 2-2 Draw - Chicago Fire
- Loons Fall to Aston Villa in International Friendly - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- The Dance Continues: Lions Punch Ticket to MLS Is Back Final
- Orlando City Secures Spot in MLS Is Back Tournament Final, Defeats Minnesota United 3-1
- "The Motivation Is Intrinsic": Lions Look Forward to Semifinal
- Orlando Pride Star Ali Krieger Joins Orlando City Broadcast Team
- By the Numbers: the MLS Is Back Semifinals