FC Cincinnati Signs Jimmy McLaughlin
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati has signed midfielder Jimmy McLaughlin ahead of the club's debut season in Major League Soccer. McLaughlin, 25, and Corben Bone are the only players to be with FC Cincinnati since the club's founding in 2015.
As a United States citizen, McLaughlin will occupy a domestic roster spot on Cincinnati's 2019 MLS roster.
"Going to MLS with this club is so special and it means the world to me." McLaughlin said. "FC Cincinnati and the city of Cincinnati in general has been incredible, not just for my soccer career, but also for my life. I've loved every minute that I've spent in this city, the people have welcomed me with open arms. I'm so honored to continue on with this team and progress to the next level with them."
McLaughlin was announced as one of FC Cincinnati's first 11 signings on Dec. 7, 2015 when the club was in preparations for its first USL season. During his three years with the Orange and Blue at the USL level, McLaughlin made 103 appearances, including 72 starts, scored 12 goals and added 11 assists across all competitions.
"For our club and for the fans, it's huge to take Jimmy, because he's been with this club since the very beginning," Koch said. "From a coaching perspective, however, it's really what he means to the team. Whether he starts or comes off the bench, he brings us so much energy and can be very influential in a game. He's grown into a very, very good professional player and I know he's hungry to grab the opportunity that he's going to be presented."
McLaughlin made 30 appearances, including 11 starts, scored two goals and added four assists for the Orange and Blue in 2018. He was one of just four players to make at least 30 appearances over the course of the season. The energetic midfielder finished the season strong, recording three of his four assists in the final six matches of the USL regular season. In addition, he became the first player in club history to reach 100 career appearances across all competitions.
McLaughlin signed with the Philadelphia Union as the club's second-ever Homegrown Player after playing one year of college soccer at Colgate University in 2011. From 2012-15, McLaughlin split time between the Union and the Harrisburg City Islanders. With the Union, McLaughlin made seven appearances with one start across all competitions. With Harrisburg, he made 56 appearances, scored eight goals and recorded two assists across all competitions.
In his first year with FC Cincinnati in 2016, McLaughlin made 30 appearances, including 28 starts, scored four goals and added two assists. In 2017, he made a career-high 31 appearances, including 26 starts, scored a career-high five goals and added three assists. He also appeared in four of FC Cincinnati's six U.S. Open Cup matches, including the semifinal round against the New York Red Bulls.
The next time Cincinnati takes the field, it will be as MLS' 24th team in 2019 when the club debuts in the top professional league in the U.S. and Canada. Season tickets for the 2019 season are now on sale at fccincinnati.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 10, 2018
- Timbers Sign Midfielders Marvin Loria, Renzo Zambrano - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Signs Jimmy McLaughlin - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Move up in Allocation Ranking - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Allocation Money in Trade with Toronto FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City Announces Protected List for 2018 Expansion Draft - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Announces Protected Players in Advance of 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Announces List of Protected Players for 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Signs Justin Hoyte - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Announce Protected Player List - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Protect Players Ahead of 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - New England Revolution
- Protected Players by Impact Listed Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Reveal Protected Player List for Tuesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS and D.C. United Announce Available Players for Selection in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Announce Roster Status Ahead of 2019 Season - Portland Timbers
- MLS Announces Available Players for Selection in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- New York City FC Submit Protected List for MLS Expansion Draft - New York City FC
- Dynamo Protect 11 Players Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft - Houston Dynamo
- Philadelphia Union Announce Protected List for 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Announces 11 Protected Players Ahead of Tomorrow's MLS Expansion Draft - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 16 Protected Players in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Real Salt Lake
- MNUFC 2018 Expansion Draft Protected Player List Announced - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Vancouver for Rights to Andy Rose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Midfielder Andy Rose - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Signs Emery Welshman - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Sign Defender Zarek Valentin to New Contract - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Signs Nazmi Albadawi - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Signs Blake Smith - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Foundation: More Than $50,000 Raised at Thursday's Ladies Lace up
- Technical Director Luke Sassano to Step Down for Family Reasons
- FC Cincinnati Open 2020 Season Ticket Sales to General Public
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 14, 2019
- "Spend to Save" at FC Cincinnati Shop this week