FC Cincinnati Signs Emery Welshman
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati has signed forward Emery Welshman ahead of the club's debut season in Major League Soccer. Welshman will be returning to Major League Soccer for the first time since 2016, when he played for Real Salt Lake.
As a Canadian, Welshman will occupy an international roster spot on Cincinnati's 2019 MLS roster.
"This is a huge opportunity for me to move forward with a club that has ambition," Welshman said. "When I signed with the club last year, I knew where they were heading, and I was excited to be part of that team. Now, to be part of an inaugural MLS squad, I'm very blessed. It's very humbling. It's a huge blessing for me and for my family and I'm very grateful."
Welshman originally signed with FC Cincinnati on Jan. 3, 2018. In his lone season with the Orange and Blue in the USL, the forward made 26 appearances, including 14 starts, scored four goals and added four assists.
"Emery is a player that makes everyone else around him better," Koch said. "He's a selfless player and a selfless person. He's willing to do what the team needs him to do and I'm excited to see him showcase himself in MLS. Like several guys on the team, he's had a taste and probably didn't get the best chance in the league. Now he has a chance to embrace this opportunity."
The Mississauga, Ontario, native was one of four FC Cincinnati players to record at least four goals and four assists on the season. He scored his first FCC goal, the game-winning goal, in the club's second match of 2018 at Indy Eleven on March 31. The forward also recorded a goal and an assist for the Orange and Blue on two separate occasions. Outside of MLS play, he also added a hat trick in FC Cincinnati's U.S. Open Cup overtime win over Detroit City FC on May 16.
Welshman's professional career began in 2013 when he was drafted by Toronto FC in the first round, 16th overall, of the 2013 MLS SuperDraft after completing his final two collegiate seasons at Oregon State. In 2013, he made two appearances across all competitions for TFC. Following the MLS season, he signed with Sigma FC of League1 Ontario, where he played for one season.
In 2015, Welshman signed with Real Monarchs SLC of the USL, where he made 19 appearances and scored six goals. At the conclusion of the 2015 USL season, he signed with Real Salt Lake. While he didn't make a first team appearance, Welshman made three appearances on loan with the Monarchs. In 2017, he signed with Puerto Rico FC of the NASL. Welshman made 22 appearances, including 13 starts, scored five goals and added three assists.
Welshman has seven caps for Guyana, and has scored six goals since making his international debut in 2015. Most recently, he was called up for Guyana's CONCACAF Nations League Qualifiers against Turks and Caicos Islands in October and French Guiana in November. The forward notched a hat trick in the Golden Jaguars' 8-0 victory over Turks and Caicos Islands on Oct. 13.
The next time Cincinnati takes the field, it will be as MLS' 24th team in 2019 when the club debuts in the top professional league in the U.S. and Canada. Season tickets for the 2019 season are now on sale at fccincinnati.com/tickets.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. For more information about FC Cincinnati tickets - including 2019 season tickets - call 513-977-KICK (5425) or visit fccincinnati.com/tickets.
Transaction: FC Cincinnati signed F Emery Welshman as a free agent on Dec. 10, 2018.
Jersey Number: 10
Birthdate: Nov. 9, 1993
Birthplace: Mississauga, Ontario
Hometown: Mississauga, Ontario
Last Club: FC Cincinnati (USL)
Nationality: United States
MLS Roster Status: International Player
How Acquired: Signed as a free agent on Dec. 10, 2018
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 10, 2018
- Timbers Sign Midfielders Marvin Loria, Renzo Zambrano - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Signs Jimmy McLaughlin - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Move up in Allocation Ranking - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Allocation Money in Trade with Toronto FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City Announces Protected List for 2018 Expansion Draft - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Announces Protected Players in Advance of 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Announces List of Protected Players for 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Signs Justin Hoyte - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Announce Protected Player List - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Protect Players Ahead of 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - New England Revolution
- Protected Players by Impact Listed Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Reveal Protected Player List for Tuesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS and D.C. United Announce Available Players for Selection in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Announce Roster Status Ahead of 2019 Season - Portland Timbers
- MLS Announces Available Players for Selection in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- New York City FC Submit Protected List for MLS Expansion Draft - New York City FC
- Dynamo Protect 11 Players Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft - Houston Dynamo
- Philadelphia Union Announce Protected List for 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Announces 11 Protected Players Ahead of Tomorrow's MLS Expansion Draft - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 16 Protected Players in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Real Salt Lake
- MNUFC 2018 Expansion Draft Protected Player List Announced - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Vancouver for Rights to Andy Rose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Midfielder Andy Rose - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Signs Emery Welshman - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Sign Defender Zarek Valentin to New Contract - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Signs Nazmi Albadawi - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Signs Blake Smith - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Joins Newport Aquarium, WAVE Foundation for Plastic Bag Collection
- Cruz's Backheel Tally wins MLS Goal of the Week
- FC Cincinnati Partners with SeatGeek to Launch Revolutionary Fan Experience
- Four Tabbed to MLS Team of the Week After Electric Home Opener
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: March 18, 2019