FC Cincinnati Signs Nazmi Albadawi
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati has signed midfielder Nazmi Albadawi ahead of FC Cincinnati's debut season in Major League Soccer. Albadawi, 27, will be on an MLS roster for the first time after playing four seasons in the NASL with North Carolina FC (2014-17) and one season in the USL with FC Cincinnati (2018).
As a United States citizen, Albadawi will occupy a domestic roster spot on Cincinnati's 2019 MLS roster.
"It's always been my dream to play in MLS. I've had a few opportunities in the past, but they didn't necessarily feel right at the time," Albadawi said. "Now, I'm very grateful, very thankful to Cincinnati for giving me the opportunity. I feel very at home at this club and I couldn't be happier to make the move with them."
Albadawi joined FC Cincinnati on Jan. 15, 2018. During his season with the Orange and Blue in the USL, he made 27 appearances, including 24 starts, recorded a career-high 11 goals and added four assists.
"Nazmi had a terrific season for us last year and we are thrilled to give him his first opportunity in MLS," Koch said. "He is a player that has shown consistency every year of his professional career. He has very high expectations of himself, which is great, because we'll be there to push him along the way and hopefully we'll continue to see very positive performances from him."
In addition, Albadawi has been named to Palestine's roster for a training camp in Doha, Qatar as well as four international friendlies prior to the 2019 AFC Asian Cup. Albadawi and Palestine will play Yemen (Dec. 20), Iran (Dec. 24), Iraq (Dec. 28) and Kyrgyzstan (Dec. 31). The midfielder was named to Palestine's preliminary roster for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup, the final roster is expected to be announced during the final week of December. On Nov. 16, 2018, Albadawi made his international debut with Palestine. In his first match, he scored the game-winning goal in a 2-1 win against Pakistan at Faisal Al-Husseini International Stadium in Al-Ram, Palestine.
The Raleigh, N.C., native proved to be one of FC Cincinnati's greatest offensive threats in 2018. After missing the first five matches at the beginning of the season with an injury, he played in 27 of Cincinnati's last 29 matches. Along with Emmanuel Ledesma (16), Corben Bone (11) and Danni KÃ¶nig (11), Albadawi was one of FC Cincinnati's four players to reach at least 10 goals on the season. He scored in four consecutive matches from June 13-30 during the beginning of FCC's USL record 23-match unbeaten run. He started each of FC Cincinnati's two USL Cup Playoffs matches.
Albadawi's professional career began in 2014, when he signed with the NASL's North Carolina FC after a four-year career at NC State. The midfielder went on to make 108 appearances with 103 starts across all competitions for North Carolina FC from 2014-17, he scored 18 goals and added 19 assists. He was named to the NASL All-League First-Team in each of his final two seasons with the club.
The next time Cincinnati takes the field, it will be as MLS' 24th team in 2019 when the club debuts in the top professional league in the U.S. and Canada. Season tickets for the 2019 season are now on sale at fccincinnati.com/tickets.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. For more information about FC Cincinnati tickets - including 2019 season tickets - call 513-977-KICK (5425) or visit fccincinnati.com/tickets.
Transaction: FC Cincinnati signed M Nazmi Albadawi as a free agent on Dec. 10, 2018.
Pronunciation: NAHZ-me al-bah-DAHH-wee
Jersey Number: 5
Birthdate: August 24, 1991
Birthplace: Raleigh, N.C.
Hometown: Raleigh, N.C.
Last Club: FC Cincinnati (USL)
Nationality: United States
MLS Roster Status: Domestic Player
How Acquired: Signed as a free agent on Dec. 10, 2018
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 10, 2018
- Timbers Sign Midfielders Marvin Loria, Renzo Zambrano - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Signs Jimmy McLaughlin - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Move up in Allocation Ranking - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Allocation Money in Trade with Toronto FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City Announces Protected List for 2018 Expansion Draft - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Announces Protected Players in Advance of 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Announces List of Protected Players for 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Signs Justin Hoyte - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Announce Protected Player List - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Protect Players Ahead of 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - New England Revolution
- Protected Players by Impact Listed Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Reveal Protected Player List for Tuesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS and D.C. United Announce Available Players for Selection in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Announce Roster Status Ahead of 2019 Season - Portland Timbers
- MLS Announces Available Players for Selection in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- New York City FC Submit Protected List for MLS Expansion Draft - New York City FC
- Dynamo Protect 11 Players Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft - Houston Dynamo
- Philadelphia Union Announce Protected List for 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Announces 11 Protected Players Ahead of Tomorrow's MLS Expansion Draft - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 16 Protected Players in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Real Salt Lake
- MNUFC 2018 Expansion Draft Protected Player List Announced - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Vancouver for Rights to Andy Rose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Midfielder Andy Rose - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Signs Emery Welshman - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Sign Defender Zarek Valentin to New Contract - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Signs Nazmi Albadawi - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Signs Blake Smith - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- Four Tabbed to MLS Team of the Week After Electric Home Opener
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: March 18, 2019
- Orange and Blue record first-ever MLS win in home opener
- Sunday's FC Cincinnati MLS Home Opener is Sold Out
- Mattocks, Powell Called up to Jamaica for International Matches