Earthquakes Acquire Allocation Money in Trade with Toronto FC
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has acquired $75,000 of General Allocation Money (GAM), $75,000 of Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) and the No. 6 spot in the Allocation Ranking Order from Toronto FC in exchange for the No. 2 spot in the Allocation Ranking Order.
The Allocation Process is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a player listed on the Allocation Ranking List, which consists of select U.S. Men's National Team players, elite youth U.S. National Team players, or former MLS players returning to MLS after joining a non-MLS club for a transfer fee greater than $500,000. The Allocation Ranking Order is set by taking the reverse order of the league standings at the end of each season, taking playoff performance into account, with the new expansion clubs at the top of the order.
Allocation Money has several uses, including to sign players new to MLS, to re-sign an existing MLS player, to offset acquisition costs (loan and transfer fees), and more.
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes acquire $75,000 of General Allocation Money (GAM), $75,000 of Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) and the No. 6 spot in the Allocation Ranking Order from Toronto FC in exchange for the No. 2 spot in the Allocation Ranking Order.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 10, 2018
- Timbers Sign Midfielders Marvin Loria, Renzo Zambrano - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Signs Jimmy McLaughlin - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Move up in Allocation Ranking - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Allocation Money in Trade with Toronto FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City Announces Protected List for 2018 Expansion Draft - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Announces Protected Players in Advance of 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Announces List of Protected Players for 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Signs Justin Hoyte - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Announce Protected Player List - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Protect Players Ahead of 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - New England Revolution
- Protected Players by Impact Listed Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Reveal Protected Player List for Tuesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS and D.C. United Announce Available Players for Selection in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Announce Roster Status Ahead of 2019 Season - Portland Timbers
- MLS Announces Available Players for Selection in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- New York City FC Submit Protected List for MLS Expansion Draft - New York City FC
- Dynamo Protect 11 Players Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft - Houston Dynamo
- Philadelphia Union Announce Protected List for 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Announces 11 Protected Players Ahead of Tomorrow's MLS Expansion Draft - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Announces 16 Protected Players in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft - Real Salt Lake
- MNUFC 2018 Expansion Draft Protected Player List Announced - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Vancouver for Rights to Andy Rose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Midfielder Andy Rose - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Signs Emery Welshman - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Sign Defender Zarek Valentin to New Contract - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Signs Nazmi Albadawi - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Signs Blake Smith - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.