Express Edge Chasers in Slugfest 9-8
ROUND ROCK, TX - Centerfielder Bubba Starling came out slugging, tallying five runs batted in off of two home runs, the second of which was a grand slam to put the Chasers up by seven runs in the fifth inning at Dell Diamond.
Starling (2-5, 2 R, 2 H, 5 RBI, 2 HR) was not the only one seeing the ball well off of the Express starter, RHP Akeem Bostick (5.0 IP, 7 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 4 K, 2 BB, 4 HR). In his first at bat, 1B Ryan O'Hearn (2-4, 3 R, 2 H, 3 RBI, 2 HR) launched a solo shot to right center and then a two-run drive over the wall in left his next time at the plate. Bubba was the other fist in the one-two punch, likewise going yard in his first attempt before dealing a huge blow with a four-run slam to left field. No other Chaser recorded an RBI, but RF Brett Phillips (1-4, 2 R, 1 H, 1 BB) added to the scoreboard by getting on base twice. Round Rock's offense came later in the shootout, as 1B Taylor Jones narrowed Omaha's lead with a three-run blast in the bottom of the fifth. A pair of doubles in the bottom of the sixth by C Jamie Ritchie (2-5, 2 R, 2 H, 1 RBI) and LF Chas McCormick (2-5, 1 R, 2 H, 3 RBI, 1 HR) put the home team within one run of the visiting Storm Chasers. McCormick eventually tied the game in the bottom of the 8th with a solo homer to left center.
LHP Foster Griffin (0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K) left after only two thirds of an inning due to comebacker hitting him in the leg and being pulled out for observation. Five other Storm Chasers pitchers came in for relief during the game, including newly-promoted RHP Yunior Marte (1.2 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 1 K) who gave up six of Round Rock's nine runs. Round Rock's starting pitcher, Bostick, was responsible for all of their runs, while the relievers only allowed one hit between them.
Omaha returns to Werner Park on Thursday July 4 to start a four-game set with the Nashville Sounds, with that night's series opener featuring the "Biggest Fireworks in the Omaha Metro" as part of the 51st Annual First National Bank Independence Fireworks Spectacular. First pitch of the series opener is scheduled for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 4, 2019
- Dodgers and Express Bring the Fireworks in OKC's 13-7 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Get Independence Day Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Oklahoma City Pops Round Rock 13-7 on Independence Day - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Down Aviators in Front of 14,920 Fans - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Baby Cakes' Four Homers Blasts Missions - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Pelicans Soar over Missions in Series Opener - San Antonio Missions
- I-Cubs Walk off against Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Williams Goes Deep Twice in Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Shut out by Omaha in Opener - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 4, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (38-47) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (38-48) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (35-51) at Iowa Cubs (49-37) - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Edge Chasers in Slugfest 9-8 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Arozarena Named Cardinals Minor League Player of the Month - Memphis Redbirds
- Struggling on the Homestand - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Drop Slugfest - Salt Lake Bees
- Three Rainiers Go Deep, Tacoma Takes Series Finale against Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer
- Chasers Shut out Express 6-0 in 2019 Finale
- Express Topple Chasers 5-3
- Chasers Halt Express 4-0