ESTERO, FL - The Florida Everblades finished off the final week of the regular season with a 1-0-1 record, which led them to the third seed of the American Conference. The Everblades finished off the season with a record of 42-20-10 (94 pts., 2nd South Division). Florida will play South Carolina in the first round of the 2005 Kelly Cup Playoffs.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Friday, April 8 vs. Columbia Inferno 5-4 Shootout Loss
The Everblades picked up a tie in the standings after falling 5-4 in a shootout to the Columbia Inferno. The Everblades let one slip away after holding a three-goal lead midway through the third period. Reggie Berg scored a pair of third period goals in the first 8:10 of the frame giving Florida a 4-1 lead. However the Inferno stormed back with three goals in the final 5:12 of the contest. Neither team scored in the overtime period, which included an Everblades power play, pushing the game to a shootout. In the shootout, Columbia outscored Florida 2-1 in six rounds.
The high-tempo game started with the teams playing a scoreless first period. In the second period, the Everblades exploded for two goals in a ten second span midway through the stanza. David Lundbohm opened the scoring at 8:10, and Damian Surma gave Florida a 2-0 lead at 8:20 only to see Columbia battle right back to cut the lead in half at 9:51.
Craig Kowalski (13-6-6), who was playing in his first game since Jan. 29 picked up a tie after stopping 28 of 32 shots in regulation and overtime. Florida Special Teams: PP: 1-for-5; PK: 3-for-4.
Saturday, April 9 vs. Columbia Inferno 3-1 Win
The Everblades used a pair of goals from rookie David Lundbohm to help wrap up the regular season with a 3-1 victory over the Columbia Inferno at Germain Arena.
Lundbohm and fellow rookie Matt Hendricks teamed up to give Florida a 2-0 lead after one period of play. Hendricks opened the scoring with a power play goal at 7:30 of the frame and Lundbohm tallied his 17th goal of the season just over a minute later.
Holding a 2-0 lead in the second period Lundbohm notched his second goal of the night at 13:24 of the second period by picking up his own rebound and jamming it past Columbia net-minder Rob McVicar for the 3-0 lead. Columbia cut the lead to two at 13:16 of the third period, however Everblades goaltender Tyler MacKay held off the charging Inferno over the last six minutes of the game to pick up his 18th win of the season. Overall, MacKay stopped 32 of 33 shots to improve to 18-7-3. Florida Special Teams: PP: 1-for-3; PK: 4-for-4.
2005 KELLY CUP PLAYOFFS ROUND 1 PREVIEW
Florida Everblades (42-20-10) vs. South Carolina Stingrays (39-24-9)
Game 1 South Carolina at Florida Wednesday, April 13 7:30 p.m.
Game 2 South Carolina at Florida Friday, April 15 7:30 p.m.
Game 3 Florida at South Carolina Saturday, April 16 7:05 p.m.
Game 4* Florida at South Carolina Monday, April 18 7:05 p.m.
Game 5* South Carolina at Florida Wednesday, April 20 7:30 p.m.
* - If Necessary
2004-05 Regular Season vs. South Carolina
vs. South Carolina Stingrays 2-2-1, 5 of 10 pts. GF 10, GA 10 PP 1-27 (3.7 %) PK 16-19 (84.2 %)
Date Location result score home away overall PIM Power Play GWG In Net (FLA), sv (W-L-T) In Net (Opp), sv (W-L-T) Attn.
Dec. 3 at SC W 3-1 0-0-0 1-0-0 1-0-0 FLA 4 - SC 19 FLA 0-2, SC 0-1 Hendricks Kowalski, 33 (W) Daubenspeck, 45 (L) 4,121
Dec. 10 at FLA L 1-2 0-1-0 1-0-0 1-1-0 FLA 8 - SC 12 FLA 0-5, SC 0-3 Peverley Kowalski, 21 (L) Daubenspeck, 34 (W) 5,449
Dec. 11 at FLA L 0-3 0-2-0 1-0-0 1-2-0 FLA 15 - SC 17 FLA 0-6, SC 2-5 Lewis Zepp, 22 (L) Daubenspeck, 45 (W) 6,668
Jan. 7 at SC T 2-3 ^ 0-2-0 1-0-1 1-2-1 FLA 31 - SC 31 FLA 0-7, SC 1-7 Courtenay Zepp, 24 (T) Daigneault, 36 (W) 5,068
Apr. 1 at SC W 4-1 0-2-0 2-0-1 2-2-1 FLA 33 - SC 61 FLA 1-7, SC 0-3 Fast MacKay, 26 (W) Eddy, 24 (L) 6,074
Everblades All-Time Playoff Record vs. South Carolina
This is this third time the Everblades and Stingrays will meet in the Kelly Cup Playoffs in their histories. Florida has won both previous meetings.
2002: Florida wins Southeast Division Wild Card 1-game-to-0.
Game 1: April 2 @ South Carolina, Everblades 3 - Stingrays 2
2004: Florida wins Southern Division Finals 3-games-to-0
Game 1: April 16 @ Florida, Everblades 6 - Stingrays 3
Game 2: April 17 @ Florida, Everblades 2 - Stingrays 1 (2-OT)
Game 3: April 22 @ South Carolina, Everblades 8 - Stingrays 2
Monday, Apr. 11: Practice, 10:00 a.m. @ Germain Arena
Tuesday, Apr. 12: Practice, 10:00 a.m. @ Germain Arena
Wednesday, Apr. 13: Pre-Game skate, 10:00 a.m. @ Germain Arena GAME, vs. South Carolina, 7:30 p.m. @ Germain Arena
Thursday, Apr. 14: Practice, 10:00 a.m. @ Germain Arena
Friday, Apr. 15: Pre-Game skate, 10:00 a.m. @ Germain Arena GAME vs. South Carolina, 7:30 p.m. @ Germain Arena
Saturday, Apr. 16: GAME vs. South Carolina, 7:05 p.m. @ N. Charleston Coliseum
Sunday, Apr. 17: Practice @ South Carolina
2004-05 EVERBLADES FINAL REGULAR SEASON NUMBERS
Overall Record 42-20-10
Home Record 21-9-6
Road Record 21-11-4
Overtime Record 3-4
Shootout Record 6-6
Power Play 53-330 (18th)
Penalty Kill 233-286 (21st)
Damian Surma 32-28-60
Reggie Berg 21-34-55
Brad Church 23-31-54
Steve Saviano 14-38-52
Matt Hendricks 24-25-49
Brent McDonald 20-26-46
Tyler MacKay 2.10 GAA, 18-7-2
Rob Zepp 2.67 GAA, 11-10-2
Craig Kowalski 2.87 GAA, 13-6-6
Terry Dunbar 3.03 GAA, 0-1-0
Brad Church +24
Damian Surma +22
Tim O'Connell +20
Matt Pagnutti +19
Weekly Award Nominee: This week's Everblades Player of the Week nominee is David Lundbohm, who notched four points in two games this past week. Lundbohm collected three goals and one assist, while posting a plus-2 rating.
Post-Season Streak: The Everblades have qualified for the Kelly Cup Playoffs in each year of their existence. Last year was the furthest the team has advanced, making it to the Kelly Cup Finals against Idaho. Over the past six years, Florida's post-season record is 20-20. In their 40 playoff games, the Everblades have outscored their opponents 132-125.
Who's Hot: Everblades defenseman Matt Pagnutti has picked up a point in seven of the last 12 games (3g, 5a)...Reggie Berg has a point in five of the last seven games (5g, 4a)...Steve Saviano has notched a point in six of the last ten games (5g, 5a)...Kris Vernarsky has scored points in five of the last nine games (1g, 6a)...Tyler MacKay is 13-1-0 in his last 14 starts.
Monthly Award Winner: Everblades goaltender Tyler MacKay was named the ECHL's Goaltender of the Month for March. MacKay finished the month 9-1-0, with a 1.60 GAA and a .937 save percentage. MacKay also picked up one shutout during the month. Overall MacKay is now 17-3-2 since joining the Everblades.
Road Recap: The Everblades closed out their 2004-05 road schedule last weekend in Greenville. Overall, the Everblades finished off the year with an impressive 21-11-4 record on the road. After starting the season 2-5-0 on the road this year, the 'Blades responded by going 19-6-4 over the remainder of the season. In all, the Everblades spent 72 days on the road, and traveled a total distance of 23,311 miles!
Playoff Ticket Information: The Germain Arena box office is open from 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Saturday. Tickets for Playoff Games "A" & "B" are on sale now and can be purchased over the phone through TicketMaster at (239) 334-3309, or by stopping by the Germain Arena box office. To purchase tickets online, visit www.ticketmaster.com. For additional information, contact the Everblades office at (239) 948-7825.
Everblades On the Air: All Everblades playoff games will be broadcast on SportsRadio 770 AM and on the web at www.floridaeverblades.com. Join the voice of the Everblades Kevin Reiter for all the play-by-play. The Florida Lottery pre-game show begins 25 minutes prior to the drop of the puck
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 11, 2005
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Begin Thursday and Friday At Home - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Fresno Falcons 2004-05 Season Recap - Fresno Falcons
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Open Tuesday In Alaska - ECHL
- Manzano and Desrochers Loaned to Bridgeport; Tremblay Headed to Cleveland - Johnstown Chiefs
- Koopmans Recalled - Toledo Walleye
- League Attendance Up For Second Straight Season - ECHL
- Sea Wolves Announce Kelly Cup Playoffs Roster - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Steelheads announce 2005 playoff roster - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- 2005 Kelly Cup Playoffs Rosters - ECHL
- Storm notes - Toledo Walleye
- Checkers prepare for quarterfinals - Charlotte Checkers
- Final Royals Weekly at the Classic Café beginning at 5:00 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Ice Dogs Weekly - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Re-tooling begins for next season - San Diego Gulls
- Titans perfect in final week of regular season - Trenton Devils
- Berzins Loaned to Latvian National Team - Wheeling Nailers
- Over 9,400 Fans Enjoy Final Weekend - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers auctioning off home/white jerseys on eBay - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals clinch Northern Division title, home ice to start playoffs - Reading Royals
- Rumble In The Garden State - Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies
- Pee Dee Pride Weekly - Myrtle Beach Thunderboltz
- Grrrowl weekly - Greenville Grrrowl
- Playoff Déjà Vu, Mississippi Meets Gwinnett - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- South Carolina's Tenute Named CCM Vector Rookie of the Year - ECHL
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Worn Jerseys To Be Auctioned - Johnstown Chiefs
- Rays Face Florida In First Round - South Carolina Stingrays
- Inferno Weekly - Columbia Inferno
- Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Grrrowl announce playoff schedule - Greenville Grrrowl
- Stingrays adjust game four date and time - Florida Everblades
- Dagenais Named to ECHL 2nd Team - Atlanta Gladiators
- Goodjohn Named ECHL Sportsman of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stathopoulos, Gladiators bite Lynx, 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Dagenais Named to ECHL 2nd Team - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Defenseman Fortunato Assigned to Florida by NHL's Predators
- 'Blades Weekly: One Sweep Down; Home Opener on the Horizon
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win
- Everblades Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster