Titans perfect in final week of regular season
TRENTON, NJ - The Trenton Titans completed their final week of the 2004-05 regular season by going a perfect 4-for-4 in games played.
The Titans began the week by edging the Dayton Bombers 2-1 on Tuesday at the Nutter Center. With this win and a loss by the Peoria Rivermen, Trenton was able to clinch a berth in the 2005 Kelly Cup Playoffs. It was another 2-1 victory for the Titans as they defeated the Wheeling Nailers on Thursday at Sovereign Bank Arena. Trenton extended their winning streak to three games on Friday, downing the Johnstown Chiefs 5-2 at Cambria County War Memorial. The Titans made it four in a row and secured home-ice advantage for the first round of the playoffs by shutting out the Toledo Storm 3-0 on the final night of the regular season.
The Trenton Titans begin their quest for the Kelly Cup with a first round match-up against the their intra-state rival, the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies. The series gets underway on Wednesday, April 13 at 7:00pm at Sovereign Bank Arena. Game 2 takes place on Friday, April 15 at 7:30pm at SBA. The Titans then travel to Boardwalk Hall for Game 3 on Sunday, April 17 at 4:05pm.
LAST WEEK: 4-0-0
Tuesday, April 5 @ Dayton, W 2-1
- Tim Judys power play goal in the third period helped put the Titans ahead of the Dayton Bombers 2-1. Andrew Allen would help Trentons lead stand up by making 23 saves on 24 shots, recording his 27th win of the year. Brent Robinson extended his point scoring streak to six-games with two assists in the contest.
Thursday, April 7 vs. Wheeling, W 2-1
Sovereign Bank Arena
- For the second consecutive game, Trenton was able to hold on for a one-goal victory. B.J. Abel lit the lamp in the second stanza while Brent Robinson put the puck past Joe Exter to give the Titans a two-goal cushion over the Wheeling Nailers. Ed McGrane made it interesting by notching a shorthanded goal later in the third, but Andrew Allen stopped all but one of the Nailers 33 shots to clinch the win.
Friday, April 8 @ Johnstown, W 5-2
Cambria County War Memorial
- Five different Titans tallied goals in a 5-2 win over the Johnstown Chiefs. After David Bowman drew first blood 3:32 into the game, Les Haggett and Bryce Cockburn each scored to help Trenton to a 2-1 lead after one. Rick Kowalskys breakaway goal 4:24 into the second period proved to be the game-winner in what was a three-goal period for the Titans. Trenton did not allow a power play goal for the third game in a row.
Saturday, April 9 @ Toledo, W 3-0
Toledo Sports Arena
- The line of Les Haggett, Rick Kowalsky and Brent Robinson continued their torrid pace combining for 8 points and all goals in a 3-1 win over the Toledo Storm. Kowalskys goal at 13:33 of the first period proved to be the game-winner as Andrew Allen notched his 30th win of the year as turned away all 28 shots he faced.
Round 1 Preview vs. Atlantic City:
· Game 1 - Wednesday, April 13 @ Sovereign Bank Arena, 7:00pm
· Game 2 - Friday, April 15 @ Sovereign Bank Arena, 7:30pm
· Game 3 - Sunday, April 17 @ Boardwalk Hall, 4:05pm
· Game 4 - Tuesday, April 19 @ Boardwalk Hall, 7:05pm (if necessary)
· Game 5 - Wednesday, April 20 @ Sovereign Bank Arena, 7:00pm (if necessary)
· The Titans return to the Kelly Cup Playoffs for the fifth time in six-year history of the organization.
· Trenton missed the playoffs for the first time last season.
· The Titans are 22-21 all-time in the Kelly Cup Playoffs.
· This is the third meeting between Trenton and Atlantic City in the playoffs.
· The Titans were eliminated from the Kelly Cup Playoffs by Atlantic City in 2002 and 2003 and are 0-6 all-time versus the Boardwalk Bullies in the postseason.
· Trenton Titans Head Coach Mike Haviland won the Kelly Cup in 2002-003 with Atlantic City.
· Trenton won the 2004-05 season series against the Bullies (5-3-2).
· The Titans are 21-14-5 all time versus the Bullies.
· Coach Mike Haviland is 22-13 all-time in the postseason.
· Haviland becomes the 17th coach in ECHL history to direct two different teams to the postseason.
· Haviland ranks 5th in the ECHL for most career playoff wins (22).
Tuesday, April 12 - Practice @ Sovereign Bank Arena - 10:30am
Wednesday, April 13 - Pre-game skate @ Sovereign Bank Arena - 10:00am
Game vs. Atlantic City - 7:00pm
Thursday, April 14 - Practice @ Sovereign Bank Arena - 10:30am
Friday, April 15 - Pre-game skate @ Sovereign Bank Arena - 10:00am
Game vs. Atlantic City - 7:30pm
Saturday, April 16 - Practice @ Iceland - Hamilton, NJ - 1:30pm
Sunday, April 17 - No pre-game skate
Leave for Atlantic City
Game @ Atlantic City - 4:05pm
Monday, April 18 - TBD
TITANS BROADCAST INFO:
Tune in as the voice of the Titans, Mike OBrien brings you all of the Titans hockey action on WHWH-Money Talk 1350 AM on Sunday through Thursday and WSTR-91.3 FM on Friday and Saturday. Fans can also watch or listen in on the Titans website, www.trentontitans.com.
B2 Networks also brings you live action for over 50 Titans hockey games. Go to www.trentontitans.com and click the Watch the Game Live icon to view and listen to the game. These broadcasts are available for a charge of $6 per game. A cable or DSL Internet connection and Windows Media Player 9 are required to view the games.
· The Titans finished the regular season on a four-game winning streak and having won 13 of their last 15 games.
· Trenton ended the season with a season-high six-game road winning streak.
· The line of Les Haggett, Rick Kowalsky and Brent Robinson combined for 21 points (7g, 14a) in 4 games this week.
· Scott Bertoli finished the regular season tied for 9th in ECHL scoring with 68 points (27g, 41a).
· Andrew Allen finished the regular season ranked 3rd in the ECHL with 30 wins and 11th with a 2.36 GAA.
· Allen was 17-4-1 at Sovereign Bank Arena during the regular season with a 2.15 GAA and a .919 save percentage.
· Allen won 12 of his last 14 starts.
· Allen tied the team record for minutes in a season (2722) also held by Scott Stirling in 2000-01.
· Robinson finished the regular season tied for 6th in ECHL rookie scoring with 58 points (20g, 38a).
· Robinson is currently riding a nine-game scoring streak (5g, 9a).
· The Titans own the best winning percentage in the North against division opponents (.654).
· The Titans have not allowed a power play goal in their last four games (16-for-16).
· Trenton finished with the most wins in one-goal games (24).
· The Titans never had a regulation loss on the road when leading after any period.
In the Community:
· Along the Boards returns to Hooters on Monday, April 11 at 7:00pm. Join the Voice of the Trenton Titans, Mike OBrien and his guest #33 Jeff Smith as they talk Titans hockey. Hooters is located in the Mercer Mall on Route 1 in Princton, NJ. Along the Boards can be heard on MoneyTalk 1350AM.
Leaders - Regular Season:
Goals: Scott Bertoli - 27
Assists: Scott Bertoli - 41
Points: Scott Bertoli - 68
Plus/Minus: Nick Deschenes - +21
PIM: Matt Zultek - 231
Wins: Andrew Allen - 30
GAA: Andrew Allen - 2.36
Save Pct.: Andrew Allen - .916
Team Stats - Regular Season:
Record: 42-21-9, 93 pts (2nd, North Division)
Power Play: 55 for 316- 17.4% (11th)
Penalty Kill: 279 for 339 - 82.3% (18th)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 11, 2005
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Begin Thursday and Friday At Home - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Fresno Falcons 2004-05 Season Recap - Fresno Falcons
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Open Tuesday In Alaska - ECHL
- Manzano and Desrochers Loaned to Bridgeport; Tremblay Headed to Cleveland - Johnstown Chiefs
- Koopmans Recalled - Toledo Walleye
- League Attendance Up For Second Straight Season - ECHL
- Sea Wolves Announce Kelly Cup Playoffs Roster - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Steelheads announce 2005 playoff roster - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- 2005 Kelly Cup Playoffs Rosters - ECHL
- Storm notes - Toledo Walleye
- Checkers prepare for quarterfinals - Charlotte Checkers
- Final Royals Weekly at the Classic Café beginning at 5:00 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Ice Dogs Weekly - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Re-tooling begins for next season - San Diego Gulls
- Titans perfect in final week of regular season - Trenton Devils
- Berzins Loaned to Latvian National Team - Wheeling Nailers
- Over 9,400 Fans Enjoy Final Weekend - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers auctioning off home/white jerseys on eBay - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals clinch Northern Division title, home ice to start playoffs - Reading Royals
- Rumble In The Garden State - Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies
- Pee Dee Pride Weekly - Myrtle Beach Thunderboltz
- Grrrowl weekly - Greenville Grrrowl
- Playoff Déjà Vu, Mississippi Meets Gwinnett - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- South Carolina's Tenute Named CCM Vector Rookie of the Year - ECHL
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Worn Jerseys To Be Auctioned - Johnstown Chiefs
- Rays Face Florida In First Round - South Carolina Stingrays
- Inferno Weekly - Columbia Inferno
- Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Grrrowl announce playoff schedule - Greenville Grrrowl
- Stingrays adjust game four date and time - Florida Everblades
- Dagenais Named to ECHL 2nd Team - Atlanta Gladiators
- Goodjohn Named ECHL Sportsman of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stathopoulos, Gladiators bite Lynx, 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Dagenais Named to ECHL 2nd Team - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.