The Columbia Inferno clinched the East Division and is seeded #2 in the American Conference. Charlotte is seeded #7. The Inferno is 5-3-2 during the 2004-05 regular season and has never faced the Checkers during post-season play. The last time the Checkers were in the playoffs was the 2002 season when they lost against the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies in the division semi-finals. The Inferno have qualified for the playoffs every year since their inception.
LAST WEEK Tuesday, April 5th GRRROWL 4 Inferno 0
The Greenville Grrrowl shuts down the Inferno as they win 4-0. Greenville opened the scoring in the first period at 12:03 with a goal by Maris Ziediens. The Grrrowl scored two unassisted goals in the second period at 4:23 and 13:03 to go ahead 3-0. Ziediens added his second goal of the night at 3:24 of the third period to give the Grrrowl a 4-0 lead and win over the Inferno. Rob McVicar played between the pipes for Columbia as he faced 24 shots, stopping 20. The Inferno outshot the Grrrowl 47-24.
Wednesday, April 6th GRRROWL 4 Inferno 3 (SO)
The Columbia Inferno lose in a sudden death shootout 4-3 against the Greenville Grrrowl. Chanse Fitzpatrick and Sean Owens fed the puck to Tim Smith as he one-timed it past goaltender Mike Morrison on the power play at 4:40 of the first period. The Inferno went up 2-0 with Smiths second goal of the night as he scored off of a rebound shot by Eric Boulton. Derek Eastman had the second assist at 13:12. Greenville brought the score to within one when Colin Pepperall redirected the puck past Mike Minard at 17:11 on the power play. Greenville tied the game at 7:43 of the second period as David Herring skated in on Minard and pushed the puck in the net. Boulton scored his 23rd goal of the season at 8:12 of the third period to give the Inferno a 3-2 lead with help from Smith. Greenville would not step down as Mike Knight tied the game at 14:17 to push the game into an overtime period and a shootout.
Friday, April 8th INFERNO 5 Everblades 4 (SO)
The Columbia Inferno clinch the East Division as they beat the Florida Everblades 5-4 in a shootout. Columbia scored three goals in the third period to tie and force overtime and a shootout. After a scoreless first period, David Lundbohm scored for the Everblades at 8:10 to put them on the board first. Damian Surma scored 10 seconds later as Florida takes a quick 2-0 lead. At 9:51, defenseman Trevor Demmans scored his fourth goal of the season with help from Walker McDonald to bring the Inferno within one goal and end the second period 2-1. Floridas Reggie Berg came out roaring as he scored two goals to give the Everblades a 4-1 lead half way into the third period. Within less than 5 minutes, the Inferno notches three goals. DArcy McConvey scored his 23rd of the season on the power play with assists to Sean Owens and Mike Minard at 14:42. Matt Ulwelling scored at 16:53 with Owens and McDonald on the helpers. Owens ties the game at four when Tim Smith and Ulwelling set him up at 19:13. After the overtime period, Brad Ralph and Eric Boulton were the only two scorers in the shootout to give the Inferno the win over the Everblades.
Saturday, April 9th Inferno 1 EVERBLADES 3
The Inferno dropped their last regular season game 3-1 against the Everblades. Matt Ulwelling netted the only goal for the Inferno in the third period. Assists were awarded to DArcy McConvey and Derek Eastman.
Overall Record: 38-22-12 Position: First Place with 88 points Weekly Record: 1-2-1 Clinched East Division
Goals: 27 Brad Ralph
Assists: 38 Trevor Demmans
Leading Scorer: 54 DArcy McConvey
Power Play: 17% (13th)
Power Play Goals: 11 Brad Ralph
Penalty Kill: 86.4% (4th)
Short Handed Goals: 1 7 players tied
Game Winning Goals: 8 Brad Ralph
Plus/Minus: +19 Trevor Demmans
Goaltending: Mike Minard, 24-8-7, 41 games, 2.40 GAA, .919 save percentage
There will be no Coachs Show for the rest of the season.
THE WEEK AHEAD Wednesday, April 13th Inferno vs. Charlotte Checkers 7:30pm Carolina Coliseum
Friday, April 15th Inferno vs. Charlotte Checkers 7:30pm Carolina Coliseum
Saturday, April 16th Inferno @ Charlotte Checkers 7:05pm Cricket Arena
Sunday, April 17th Inferno @ Charlotte Checkers
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 11, 2005
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Begin Thursday and Friday At Home - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Fresno Falcons 2004-05 Season Recap - Fresno Falcons
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Open Tuesday In Alaska - ECHL
- Manzano and Desrochers Loaned to Bridgeport; Tremblay Headed to Cleveland - Johnstown Chiefs
- Koopmans Recalled - Toledo Walleye
- League Attendance Up For Second Straight Season - ECHL
- Sea Wolves Announce Kelly Cup Playoffs Roster - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Steelheads announce 2005 playoff roster - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- 2005 Kelly Cup Playoffs Rosters - ECHL
- Storm notes - Toledo Walleye
- Checkers prepare for quarterfinals - Charlotte Checkers
- Final Royals Weekly at the Classic Café beginning at 5:00 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Ice Dogs Weekly - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Re-tooling begins for next season - San Diego Gulls
- Titans perfect in final week of regular season - Trenton Devils
- Berzins Loaned to Latvian National Team - Wheeling Nailers
- Over 9,400 Fans Enjoy Final Weekend - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers auctioning off home/white jerseys on eBay - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals clinch Northern Division title, home ice to start playoffs - Reading Royals
- Rumble In The Garden State - Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies
- Pee Dee Pride Weekly - Myrtle Beach Thunderboltz
- Grrrowl weekly - Greenville Grrrowl
- Playoff Déjà Vu, Mississippi Meets Gwinnett - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- South Carolina's Tenute Named CCM Vector Rookie of the Year - ECHL
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Worn Jerseys To Be Auctioned - Johnstown Chiefs
- Rays Face Florida In First Round - South Carolina Stingrays
- Inferno Weekly - Columbia Inferno
- Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Grrrowl announce playoff schedule - Greenville Grrrowl
- Stingrays adjust game four date and time - Florida Everblades
- Dagenais Named to ECHL 2nd Team - Atlanta Gladiators
- Goodjohn Named ECHL Sportsman of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stathopoulos, Gladiators bite Lynx, 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Dagenais Named to ECHL 2nd Team - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.