Everblades' Rally Falls Short in Preseason Opener against Orlando
ESTERO, Fla. - Trevor Olson tallied the go-ahead goal with 16.6 seconds left in regulation to send the Orlando Solar Bears past the Florida Everblades, 5-4, in a preseason game on Friday at Hertz Arena.
Adam Gilmour (1G, 1A) and Patrick McCarron (2A) both netted multi-point games for the 'Blades (0-1-0), but the Solar Bears (1-1-0) scored late in the third period to stave off the Florida rally.
Down 4-3 at the start of the third period, Florida responded to tie the game with less than 10 minutes to play on its second shorthanded goal of the game. With the Everblades on the penalty kill, Mathieu Foget received a stretch pass from Patrick McCarron and lifted a backhand shot above the blocker of Orlando goaltender Corbin Boes on the ensuing breakaway to make it 4-4.
But the Solar Bears found the back of the net with less than 20 seconds to play, as Olson jammed a loose puck past the right pad of 'Blades goaltender Jamie Phillips.
After Orlando took the first lead of the game in the first period, the Everblades scored three straight times to take a 3-1 lead. Florida tied it on a 5-on-3 power play with Tommy Thompson's first goal in a 'Blades sweater. After Patrick McCarron ripped a shot from the slot, Thompson located the rebound and batted it out of midair past Boes with 6:37 to play in the first.
The Everblades grabbed their first lead of the night with Gilmour's first goal of the preseason, a play set up by Zach Nastasiuk. Nastasiuk skated the puck off the far goal line to the left circle and located Gilmour in the right circle. Gilmour unleashed the shot immediately to make it 2-1 just 32 seconds into the second frame.
Joe Cox doubled the lead to two, pouncing on a turnover by Orlando goaltender Corbin Boes and tucking the puck into the back of a vacated net at the 4:03 mark of period two, the first shorthanded tally of the night.
Orlando scored four of the final five goals in the game to secure the victory, including three in the second period. Dylan Fitze and Cody Donaghey tallied 23 seconds apart to tie the game at three and then pushed ahead on Vincent Dunn's score with 7:39 left in the middle stanza.
Florida has a chance to close the preseason with a victory on Saturday night, hosting Orlando in the preseason finale at 7 p.m. at Hertz Arena. Single-game tickets start as low as $10.
Individual game tickets for the preseason and all regular season games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Full Season, Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits! To view the Ticket & Voucher Package options CLICK HERE. Ask about the payment plan options too!
Images from this story
Florida Everblades forward Adam Gilmour faces off against the Orlando Solar Bears in preseason action
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 5, 2018
- Everblades' Rally Falls Short in Preseason Opener against Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Adirondack Drops Preseason Opener 6-3 to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- K-Wings Edged 4-2 in Preseason Opener Friday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Morgan Nets Five Points to Lead Royals to 6-3 Win in Preseason - Reading Royals
- 11 Skaters on the Scoresheet as Rays Top Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Edge Nailers in Preseason Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Earn First Ever Preseason Victory - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Redmond Reassigned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Rush and Midco Sports Network Engage in TV Partnership - Rapid City Rush
- Walleye Set New Season Ticket Record - Toledo Walleye
- Steven Brothers to Use Wichita Thunder Opening Weekend to Raise over $50,000 for Fallen Deputy Robert Kunze's Family - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - October 5 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Promotions of League Staff - ECHL
- Fairly Group Continues as the "Official Insurance Provider of the ECHL" for 2018-19 Season - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears Play First of Two Weekend Matches at Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Preseason Opener on Friday - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers vs. Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, October 5 - Wheeling Nailers
- It's Finally Game Day in Allen , Why It's Important, Allen vs KC Game Preview - Allen Americans
- Rays Announce Training Camp Roster Moves - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win
- Everblades Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster
- WJBX News, Talk & More Returns as Broadcast Home of the 'Blades
- Everblades Add Dehner, Trade Lammon, Hudon to Allen