Elliott Strong, But Dragons Rally in 9th
DAYTON, Ohio - A four-run bottom of the ninth inning and walk-off double propelled the Dayton Dragons (Cincinnati Reds affiliate) to a 5-4 win over the Fort Wayne TinCaps at Day Air Ballpark on Tuesday night in the series opener.
The TinCaps (16-20) opened the scoring in the top of the third inning by stringing their hits together. After a lead-off double from third baseman Kelvin Melean, catcher Jonny Homza singled, and second baseman Reinaldo Ilarraza plated Melean with an RBI single to right field. Moments later, Ilarraza stole second base, and the throw down from Dragons catcher Eric Yang bounced into center field, allowing Homza to score on the error.
Dayton and Fort Wayne traded blows soon after. In the fourth, Dragons first baseman Juan Martinez hit a solo home run to left center to get Dayton on the board. A half-inning later, TinCaps center fielder Jawuan Harris reached on a lead-off walk, stole his 10th base of the year, and was driven in by Homza on a bouncing single up the middle for the catcher's second hit of the night. Homza's 22nd RBI on the year made it a 3-1 advantage for Fort Wayne.
Fort Wayne added one more in the eighth on an RBI single from first baseman Seamus Curran.
Dayton, however, has had a flare for the dramatic this season. In the bottom of the ninth, a single and a fielding error plated a run for the Dragons to cut the TinCaps lead to 4-2. Dayton center fielder Michael Siani then followed with another run-producing single, trimming the deficit to one. After two more Dragons reached base, nine-hitter and right fielder Raniel Ozuna delivered the final blow, blasting a walk-off two-run double to right-center field.
TinCaps starter Ethan Elliott was phenomenal on Tuesday. He equaled a season-long six innings pitched, allowed just five hits, one earned run, and struck out five Dragons. Elliott lowered his already league-low 2.02 ERA coming into the start to 1.94 by the night's end.
Next Game: Wednesday, June 16 at Dayton (7:05 p.m.)
- - Fort Wayne Probable Starter: RHP Matt Waldron
- - Dayton Probable Starter: RHP Noah Davis
Listen: 1380 The Fan & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from June 15, 2021
- Cedeno, Trogrlic-Iverson Lead Peoria to Series-Opening Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Series Preview: Peoria Chiefs vs. Beloit Snappers Pt. II - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Extend Homer Streak Tuesday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Hiring as Parkview Field Capacity Increases - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Misner Doubles Twice In 6-4 Loss To Chiefs - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Score 4 in Bottom of 9th for Walk-Off Win - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Stun Whitecaps on Walk off Error - Lake County Captains
- Cubs Tie Season-Best Mark with Eight Runs in the Third - South Bend Cubs
- Elliott Strong, But Dragons Rally in 9th - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Quad Cities Beats Wisconsin with a Five-Run Eighth inning - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Transactions & Game Information: June 15 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Weisenburger Promoted, Leal Added and Will Start Tonight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Toyota Road Report June 15-20: Cedar Rapids - South Bend Cubs
- Tickets for All Seats, All Games Now on Sale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes - Dayton Dragons
- Celebrate Independence Day on July 3 at Four Winds FieldÃÂ - South Bend Cubs
- Anthem Game Changers Honoree for Wednesday Game - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.