Electric Third Period Lifts Oilers over Steelheads
BOISE, ID- The Oilers rode a three-goal third period and a 34-save performance from Olle Eriksson Ek to defeat the Steelheads 4-1 at CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday.
Neither squad found the back of the net in the opening frame, with Jake Kupsky stopping 10 shots in his ECHL debut. Eriksson Ek stopped all six chances sent his way in the opening 20 minutes.
The deadlock was broken 6:06 into the second frame when Jacob Benson tipped Charlie Granath's point blast into the back of the net. Jeff King answered at the 9:03 mark, walking in all alone off a turnover to tie the game.
The Oilers surged in the final frame, starting at the 8:38 mark with Danny Moynihan's 12th of the season. Moynihan popped the puck into the back of the net off a feed from Adam Pleskach. Former Steelhead Jack Nevins, who picked up the secondary assist, started Moynihan's go-ahead goal with a dump-and-chase play. Benson tallied his second of the night at the 12:12 mark of the period, once again displaying his top-notch hand-eye coordination by batting Jake Clifford's cross-zone laser past Kupsky, bringing the score to 3-1. Moynihan sealed the 4-1 win with a short-handed empty netter from his own zone at the 17:44 mark of the third period.
Eriksson Ek stopped 34 of 35 shots, earning Tully Law Firm first-star honors for the second-straight night, allowing the Oilers to take a 4-1 series lead over the Steelheads.
The Oilers will rematch the Steelheads at CenturyLink Arena on Friday and Saturday night at 8:10 p.m. CST.
Oilers Season and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the Oilers front office at 918-632-PUCK (7825) or visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
Images from this story
Tulsa Oilers defend against the Idaho Steelheads
(Mackenzie Rose Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 16, 2020
- Gennaro and Beaudoin Earn AHL Call-Ups - Rapid City Rush
- Fuel Stymied by Everblades Offense - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - January 16 - ECHL
- Ricky Duran to Perform National Anthem at the Worcester Railers Game on February 8 - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- DeSalvo Returns, Weis Recalled to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Captains, Skills Competition Participants Named for 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Classic, Presented by Toyota - Wichita Thunder
- Rays to Honor Military During Saturday Night Game - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Celebrate Women in 419 - Toledo Walleye
- Captains and Skills Competition Rosters Announced for 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic Presented by Toyota - ECHL
- Marchin to Participate in ECHL All-Star Skills Competition - Atlanta Gladiators
- Komets Acquire Veteran Defenseman Verpaelst - Fort Wayne Komets
- Electric Third Period Lifts Oilers over Steelheads - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Slip in Return Home, 4-1, to Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Wichita Falls in the Black Hills to Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Olson's Four Points Powers Solar Bears to 7-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Flying High: 'Blades Score Six to Knock off K-Wings - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Oilers Stories
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 24
- Oilers Sink Americans at Allen Event Center Thanks to Great Second Period
- Oilers Fall to Americans for Fifth Time this Season
- Devin Williams Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week for Third Time
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 17