El Paso Pounces Omaha with 5-Run 2nd, Tops Omaha 6-2
Storm Chasers second baseman Jecksson Flores and left fielder Elier Hernandez both blasted solo homers, however El Paso's five-run second frame was enough to top Omaha 6-2 on Friday evening at Werner Park in front of 7,278 fans.
After Chihuahuas RF Michael Gettys started the scoring in the second with an RBI double, C Webster Rivas doubled the margin to two with a run-scoring knock before DH Ty France mashed a bases-clearing three-run double to left-center to extend the advantage to five. One inning later, Rivas ripped a solo homer to left, his first Triple-A longball to make it 6-0.
Flores would then get the Storm Chasers on the board by crushing a solo homer to center, his first big fly at the Triple-A level, prior to Hernandez homering one frame later to cut the deficit to two. No Omaha batters recorded more than one hit in the contest, while Rivas (2-4, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI) and 1B Aderlin Rodriguez (2-4, R) each posted two knocks for the Chihuahuas.
El Paso southpaw Dillon Overton (5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K) earned the win, with relievers Brad Wieck (2.0 IP, 3 K) and Gerardo Reyes (2.0 IP, K) combined for the final four scoreless innings. Omaha starter Arnaldo Hernandez (1.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 2 K), meanwhile, suffered the defeat, while reliever Andres Machado (3.0 IP, H, 3 K) tossed three shutout frames of support.
The two teams are set to square off again on Saturday night, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm CT. Omaha's starter has not yet been determined, while the Chihuahuas are anticipated to give the nod to LHP Dietrich Enns (7-3, 5.05).
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 8, 2019
- Missions Rally to Down Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- Runzas Walk off with Wild 7-6 Win over El Paso - Omaha Storm Chasers
- El Paso Pounces Omaha with 5-Run 2nd, Tops Omaha 6-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Fall in Harvey Rehab Outing - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Prevail in Lopsided 19-5 Win over Bees - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Stopped in Reno, 5-3 - Memphis Redbirds
- Aces Victorious in Front of Sold out Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Saturday night's all right in Bricktown - Fresno Grizzlies
- Turbulent Ninth Inning Sends Dodgers to 9-4 Loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Falls in 12-Inning Clash - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Edges El Paso, 7-6 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- White, Wisdom Power Sounds Past Rainiers - Nashville Sounds
- Cloyd Spins Six Strong Innings, Rainiers Suffer Second-Straight Loss to Nashville - Tacoma Rainiers
- Baby Cakes hold off River Cats' comeback attempt - Sacramento River Cats
- Diaz Home Run Sinks River Cats - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (23-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-32) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Memphis - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-36) at Reno Aces (26-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Nola Mashes Seventh Home Run, Rainiers Fall to Nashville in Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Dillard Leads Sounds Past Rainiers - Nashville Sounds
- Alexander Tosses Much-Needed Gem, Aviators Rout San Antonio 8-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Memphis Mashes Way to 10-4 Win at Reno - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Downs Aces in Game One of Four-Game Series - Reno Aces
- Aviators Flex Muscles in Win over Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Express Blank Bees 10-0 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies "dodge" the 11th on Friday, beat OKC 9-8 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Claw Way to 9-8 Win in 10 Innings - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- "Why I Want to Go to College" Writing Contest Winners Announced
- Chasers Charities Announces Robinson Scholarship Winners
- Drive-In Fireworks Return to Werner Park on May 9
- Storm Chasers Join MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- Werner Park to be Ready for Opening Night