Runzas Walk off with Wild 7-6 Win over El Paso
Omaha shortstop Humberto Arteaga smacked a walk-off double in the bottom of the ninth after left fielder Jorge Bonifacio 's game-tying big fly, while right fielder Brett Phillips also left the yard as the Storm Chasers topped the El Paso Chihuahuas on Runza Night at Werner Park on Saturday night.
After El Paso grabbed a 6-5 advantage in the top of the ninth, Bonifacio blasted a solo shot to begin the last of the ninth and tie the game. C Nick Dini would follow with a line-drive single to left and move to second on 2B Jecksson Flores ' sacrifice bunt prior to RF Brett Phillips ' walk to set the scene for Arteaga, who laced the first pitch he saw past the glove of the left fielder, trickling to the wall to allow Dini to score.
The Chihuahuas struck first in the opening frame, with Phillips evening the contest in the third via an opposite field solo blast to left. Dini later drove in two runs to push Omaha ahead 3-2 in the fourth, though El Paso would counter with single tallies in the fifth and sixth frames to lead again at 4-3. Bonifacio, however, would crush an RBI triple to the center field wall before coming across on a balk to put the Storm Chasers ahead 5-4.
Six different Omaha batters collected two knocks, including Bonifacio (2-3, 2 R, 3B, HR, 2 RBI, BB), Dini (2-4, R, HR, 2 RBI), Flores (2-3), Phillips (2-3, R, HR, RBI, BB), Arteaga (2-4, 2 2B, RBI) and LF Bubba Starling (2-4, 2 R, 2B). Starling with his two-hit effort now owns a .346 batting average, which ranks among the top ten in the Pacific Coast League. El Paso 1B Ty France (3-5, 2 2B, 2 RBI), meanwhile, posted a game-high three hits, joined by DH Aderlin Rodriguez (2-5, R, 2 2B) and 3B Seth Mejias-Brean (2-4, BB) in tallying two or more knocks.
Omaha reliever Ben Lively (3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, ER, 2 K) earned his third victory after firing the final three frames. Chihuahuas reliever Andres Munoz (0.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB), meanwhile, suffered the defeat.
The two squads are slated to continue their four-game set on Sunday afternoon, with first pitch scheduled for 2:05pm CT. LHP Foster Griffin (6-2, 4.62) is anticipated to get the nod for the Storm Chasers, with El Paso expected to counter with LHP Kyle McGrath (3-1, 5.60).
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 8, 2019
- Missions Rally to Down Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- Runzas Walk off with Wild 7-6 Win over El Paso - Omaha Storm Chasers
- El Paso Pounces Omaha with 5-Run 2nd, Tops Omaha 6-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Fall in Harvey Rehab Outing - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Prevail in Lopsided 19-5 Win over Bees - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Stopped in Reno, 5-3 - Memphis Redbirds
- Aces Victorious in Front of Sold out Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Saturday night's all right in Bricktown - Fresno Grizzlies
- Turbulent Ninth Inning Sends Dodgers to 9-4 Loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa Falls in 12-Inning Clash - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Edges El Paso, 7-6 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- White, Wisdom Power Sounds Past Rainiers - Nashville Sounds
- Cloyd Spins Six Strong Innings, Rainiers Suffer Second-Straight Loss to Nashville - Tacoma Rainiers
- Baby Cakes hold off River Cats' comeback attempt - Sacramento River Cats
- Diaz Home Run Sinks River Cats - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (23-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-32) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Memphis - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 8, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (26-36) at Reno Aces (26-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Nola Mashes Seventh Home Run, Rainiers Fall to Nashville in Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Dillard Leads Sounds Past Rainiers - Nashville Sounds
- Alexander Tosses Much-Needed Gem, Aviators Rout San Antonio 8-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Memphis Mashes Way to 10-4 Win at Reno - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Downs Aces in Game One of Four-Game Series - Reno Aces
- Aviators Flex Muscles in Win over Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Express Blank Bees 10-0 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies "dodge" the 11th on Friday, beat OKC 9-8 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Claw Way to 9-8 Win in 10 Innings - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- "Why I Want to Go to College" Writing Contest Winners Announced
- Chasers Charities Announces Robinson Scholarship Winners
- Drive-In Fireworks Return to Werner Park on May 9
- Storm Chasers Join MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- Werner Park to be Ready for Opening Night