Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 13, 2019
The San Jose Earthquakes had their four-match unbeaten streak snapped in Saturday night's 3-1 defeat to the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium. Midfielder Vako's goal in the 88th minute spoiled the home team's chance for a shutout and put the Georgian on the scoresheet for the first time in 2019.
Quakes veterans Chris Wondolowski and Shea Salinas made their 300th and 250th appearances for San Jose, respectively, in Saturday night's match. Rookie midfielder Siad Haji made his MLS debut in the 67th minute of the match, replacing Tommy Thompson as a substitute. Fellow midfielder Eric Calvillo made his first start of the season, the third of his MLS career.
The Earthquakes look to defend their three-match home winning streak when they host the Chicago Fire on Saturday, May 18, presented by Audi. Saturday's match is set for 12:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast on Univision, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
Adding Points at Home
The Earthquakes have won three consecutive home matches and will be seeking their fourth straight on Saturday vs. Chicago. San Jose hasn't won four consecutive home matches since June 24 - Aug. 5, 2017.
Prior to conceding last Saturday's opening goal in the 18th minute, the Quakes hadn't allowed a goal in 220 minutes, their longest shutout streak since 2017 (226 minutes from 4/22/17-5/22/17).
On the Board
Quakes midfielder Vako tallied his first goal of the season and 16th of his MLS career last Saturday in New England.
The 20-10 Club
Forward Danny Hoesen tallied his first assist of the season and 10th of his MLS career in the Quakes' last match. He became just the eighth player in Quakes history to tally 20+ goals (20) and 10+ assists (10) for the club.
Midfielder Siad Haji made his MLS debut against the Revolution, entering as a substitute for Tommy Thompson in the 67th minute.
Getting a Chance
Midfielder Eric Calvillo made his first start of the 2019 regular season on Saturday, the third start of his MLS career.
Midfielder Cristian Espinoza missed last weekend's match due to a one-game suspension. The 24-year-old Argentine has two goals and three assists so far this season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 13, 2019
- OneRepublic Headlines 2019 National Soccer Hall of Fame Induction Weekend - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Part Ways with General Manager Michael Burns - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 13, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 13, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Deposits for 2020 Season Tickets Now Accepted - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Forward Gyasi Zardes to a Multi-Year Contract Extension - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan Voted MLS Player of the Week - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Victor Ulloa Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Faces Quick Turnaround Wednesday in Seattle - Orlando City SC
- Lagos Kunga Loaned to Memphis 901 FC - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 13, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Avaya Stadium to Host Cruz Azul vs. Atlas on July 10 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Major League Soccer to Launch Channel on Pluto TV - MLS
- D.C. United Beat Sporting KC 1-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Marcinkowski, Yueill Called to USMNT Ahead of Friendly with T&T on January 31
- Earthquakes Select Cal Forward Thomas Williamson in First Round of 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- 2021 MLS SuperDraft Takes Place Today
- Earthquakes Acquire Mexican Midfielder Javier Eduardo Lopez on Loan from Chivas
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 11, 2021