Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 13, 2019
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -The Chicago Fire Soccer Club will travel to face the San Jose Earthquakes at Avaya Stadium on Saturday, May 18. Scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m. CT, the match will be nationally televised on Univision and Twitter and transmitted locally on Univision Radio WRTO AM 1200.
Entering Saturday's match, the Fire (4-4-4, 16 points) are unbeaten in its last three games (2-0-1) in league play. After earning a solid point in a 0-0 away draw against Los Angeles FC on May 4, the Men in Red produced back-to-back wins at home, defeating the New England Revolution 5-0 on May 8 and Minnesota United FC 2-0 on May 11.
Saturday's contest against the Earthquakes will mark the 38th all-time meeting between the two sides. Heading into the match, the Fire lead the head-to-head regular season series 16-10-11. The Men in Red are currently riding a three-game unbeaten streak against San Jose, dating back to July 1, 2016. In the last meeting between both sides at Avaya Stadium, the Fire earned a convincing 4-1 win on Sept. 27, 2017.
The Earthquakes enter Saturday's fixture sitting in ninth place (3-6-2, 11 points) in the Western Conference standings. San Jose is unbeaten in four of its last five matches, most recently falling 3-1 to the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium on May 11. Midfielder Shea Salinas leads the team in goals scored (four).
Three Fire Players Named to MLS Team of the Week
Following two consecutive clean sheet victories, three Fire players were named to the MLS Team of the Week for Week 11.
Midfielder Nicolás Gaitán, who was recognized as the MLS Player of the Week for Week 11, was named to the MLS Team of the Week after scoring in back-to-back games for the Fire. Gaitán also recorded two assists in the team's 5-0 win over the New England Revolution.
After making his Club debut as a second half substitute against Los Angeles FC on May 4, defender Francisco Calvo was named to the MLS Team of the Week after starting in two straight matches for the Men in Red, helping the Club notch consecutive clean sheets.
Midfielder Aleksandar Katai was named to the MLS Team of the Week bench for Week 11 after posting two assists against the Revolution and scoring the team's second goal against Minnesota United FC on May 11.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 13, 2019
- OneRepublic Headlines 2019 National Soccer Hall of Fame Induction Weekend - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Part Ways with General Manager Michael Burns - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 13, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 13, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Deposits for 2020 Season Tickets Now Accepted - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Forward Gyasi Zardes to a Multi-Year Contract Extension - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan Voted MLS Player of the Week - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Victor Ulloa Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Faces Quick Turnaround Wednesday in Seattle - Orlando City SC
- Lagos Kunga Loaned to Memphis 901 FC - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 13, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Avaya Stadium to Host Cruz Azul vs. Atlas on July 10 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Major League Soccer to Launch Channel on Pluto TV - MLS
- D.C. United Beat Sporting KC 1-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Acquires $100,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Cristian Martinez Called up to U-22 Panama National Team
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-1 to FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Announces Partnership with Captain Morgan
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Named ESPN's Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year