New England Revolution Part Ways with General Manager Michael Burns
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution announced today that Michael Burns has been dismissed as general manager, effective immediately.
"As an original Revolution player and throughout his time with the club's front office, Michael has always been a terrific ambassador for the club," said Revolution President, Brian Bilello. "His impact on the team and organization has been felt in many ways and we are grateful for his commitment and service to the New England Revolution."
Burns' tenure as general manager ends after more than seven seasons in the role, to which he was appointed in November 2011 after spending the previous four years as vice president of player personnel. The former Revolution defender and team captain first joined the front office as director of soccer in 2005, following a decorated playing career that included seven seasons in MLS (1996-2002) and 75 caps with the U.S. Men's National Team.
Shortly after assuming the general manager role, Burns helped the Revolution rebound from a five-win season in 2011 to reach the MLS Cup Playoffs in three straight years from 2013-15, including a trip to the MLS Cup Final in 2014. In addition to winning the club's fifth Eastern Conference Championship that season, the Marlborough, Mass. native also helped the Revs reach the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final in 2016.
With regard to next steps for the club, Bilello said, "In light of recent results and the team's on-field direction over the last few seasons, we felt it was time to take the soccer side of the organization in a different direction. We expect to make an announcement related to leadership of the soccer organization in the coming days."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 13, 2019
- OneRepublic Headlines 2019 National Soccer Hall of Fame Induction Weekend - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Part Ways with General Manager Michael Burns - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 13, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 13, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Deposits for 2020 Season Tickets Now Accepted - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Forward Gyasi Zardes to a Multi-Year Contract Extension - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan Voted MLS Player of the Week - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Victor Ulloa Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Faces Quick Turnaround Wednesday in Seattle - Orlando City SC
- Lagos Kunga Loaned to Memphis 901 FC - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 13, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Avaya Stadium to Host Cruz Azul vs. Atlas on July 10 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Major League Soccer to Launch Channel on Pluto TV - MLS
- D.C. United Beat Sporting KC 1-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 2-2 Draw
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United
- Revolution Forward Justin Rennicks Named to Roster for 2019 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer
- New England Revolution Acquire Forward Gustavo Bou