Eagles Sweep Weekend Set with 5-1 Win over Jacks
ODESSA, TX - A pair of goals by Adam Chorneyko and Steve Haddon shut the door on the Odessa Jackalopes (19-21-5) in a 5-1 win for the Colorado Eagles (28-15-2) on Saturday night at the Ector County Coliseum. The Eagles' swept the weekend set in West Texas and extended their winning streak to seven games, while Odessa lost it's sixth in a row.
All six of Odessa's losses during their current skid have come on home ice. The Jacks now embark on a five-game road trip to try and end their slide.
Haddon's unassisted shorthanded goal 5:43 into the third period seem to be the back-breaker for Odessa as it gave the Eagles a 4-1 lead in the contest. Daymen Rycroft also scored late for Colorado to pad the lead.
Odessa opened up the game's scoring with a power play goal by Dominic Leveille 4:31 into the first period off a rebound at the right side of the goal crease. Haddon tied it up with a power play goal of his own with 4:11 remaining in the frame.
In period two, Chorneyko scored both his goals with 9:46 and 7:55 left to play, both from between the circles in to the Odessa zone.
Odessa's current losing streak is their longest of the season. In four of their last five games, the Jacks have only managed to score one goal.
David McKee returned to the lineup after a brief absence to stop 41 shots in the Odessa loss. Kyle Jones made 26 saves for the Eagles as he finishes the season series going 5-0-1 against the Jacks.
Odessa first game on their upcoming road trip will be on Thursday for a day game at Laredo. Game time is set for 11:00 AM CST. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
Follow the Jackalopes all year long on Facebook and Twitter -- Twitter.com/ODEJackalopes.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2011
- Komets chill Thunder 5-4 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Rush Make It A Perfect 8-0 Road Trip with 2-1 Overtime Win Over Rio - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Sweep Weekend Set with 5-1 Win over Jacks - Odessa Jackalopes
- Oilers Rally By RiverKings For Weekend Split - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bees Earn Point In 2-1 OT Loss To Rapid City - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Texas Loses Close One To Allen 2-1 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Whitley Stellar In Americans 2-1 Road Victory Over Texas - Allen Americans
- Jakaitis, Gems Foil Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Fight Valiantly, But Fall to Komets - Wichita Thunder
- Eagles, Jones Win Seventh in a Row After Weekend Sweep in Odessa - Colorado Eagles
- Gems snap four-game skid with 3-2 win over Quad City - Dayton Gems
- Komets Tangle with Visiting Thunder Again Tonight; K's Announce Player Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Icemen To Launch Rigorous Regimen Of 8 Games In 10 Days - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Announce New Date for Postponed Game Vs. Bossier-Shreveport - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Weekly Notes - Evansville IceMen
- Sundogs Snap Six-Game Slide, Down Bucks, 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.